What Attracted you In the First Place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by achu
So, who is going to bring a drysuit down here to Cozumel for me???

Achu
Well, I plan on brining mine, but that means we'd have to share.

Growing up in Hawaii, I very early on loved all water related activities. I loved watching those Jacques Cousteau specials on tv while I was a kid - I remember running around the playground in 3rd grade announcing I wanted to play "Jacques Cousteau" - no one got it, they looked at me like I was from Mars. Come to think of it, I have no idea what I thought I was going to do, either. :D

Always wanted to get into scuba diving - snorkeling is ok, but I wanted to get down there and close to what I was looking at. While snorkeling, a breath of air only lasts so long when you submerge for a better look.

Growing up and watching "reruns" of Sea Hunt , of course, silly wabbit.

That and being Aquarius helps out a little

ID

Like TexasMike, I'm a Sagittarius. I was swimming in the lakes with my older brother at the age of 5 and loved the water. During my tour in the US Navy, I had to opportunity to learn to dive, learing from a Navy Diver that was a NAUI instructor.

Still love the water, put on the neoprene and swim in the pool just cause it's the best exercize in my world!

There's a world of wonder waiting to be discovered, and I've only begun.

STT

I loved watching Jacques Cousteau when I was little. I like the other-worldliness of exploring underwater & also the feeling of pseudo-weightlessness.

It was no love of scuba, but rather sailing.

I was in the sailing club at the U of Wisconsin and we had to remove the piers each fall and reinstall them each spring to prevent ice damage.

With our system we needed a diver in the water to set the pier footings, and each spring it was usually a lack of lack of :bonk: gullible divers that slowed pier installation, and thus sailing.

So my first 50 dives after certification were solo dives spent with a sledgehammer whacking at pier footings in zero visibility and freezing water. :cold:

And the gear was truly frightful. :reaper: Somehow one week the mouthpiece disappeared from the regulator, so I held it in my lips.
And more than once I used a length of anchor chain and zip ties to fashion a weight belt. And then there was the horseshoe collar BC. What wasn't to love?

First of all why didn't I start diving sooner in life, several passed oprotunities.

The reason I am a diver now "Can't Beat 'em Join 'em"

I have lived near the seashore all my life. I was drawn to the ocean as a young child. Scuba diving allows me to go where others can not. It lets me visit and interact with creatures that others can only watch on TV. There is a special peace that comes over oneself when under the ocean. It’s intoxicating, exhilarating yet calming, only in a way that other divers truly understand. Life began in the sea and for some of us, we are called back to that beginning, as we make our way into our future.

Dive Safe ……………Arduous

Curiosity got me into an Intro to Scuba course on vacation.
Then, Curiosity got me out to the shallow reef for a resort course dive.
That was it.
Once I saw the beauty beneath the waves, experienced that sense of weightlessness, and the wonder of being able to breath underwater I was hooked.
Now there is always more......... places I want to dive,things I want to see, and courses I want to take.

Back
Top Bottom