What Attracted you In the First Place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to hang out with the fishes. I couldn't hold my breath long enough to really see what they were up to. 10 years, 2 log books and $10,000+ later, I still can't spend enough time with them.

Sigh,

The first time I snorkled on an old intact wooden wreck in Lake Superior, I was hooked. I just love the history of the wrecks up here.

Mike

I always like hobbies that not many others were into. It gives you something to talk about. Now I am hooked I don't guess I will be looking for other hobbies for awhile.

ARIES

Chad

First trip to Cozumel, I snorkeled and seen alot of other people diving. I wanted to learn how to dive then. I returned to Canada and that summer took to class and pool and I can honestly say I didn't like it; but I had my money already soaked in for the class so I was going to see how far I could go with it. It wasn't until my 3rd open water dive when we were going to get our certification that we were doing our exploration dive in the St. Clair River that I fell in love with diving, because up to that point I hadn't bin able to enjoy it! Learning fin pivot, buddy breathing, removing weight belt, equipment etc. etc. etc., is necessary, but not fun. Enjoying the dive is FUN!!:wink:

A ski friend suggested it for a summer holiday. Having tried most other watersports I thought why not?! Now I'm hooked - so much so that the skiing looks in serious jeopardy this year for the first time in 15 years - may have to get some weekend stuff in......

As to why not starting earlier - I am glad I didn't and can do it properly now. What I mean by that really is I can afford this habit now whereas 10 years ago I would not have been able to!

Jonathan

Went to Grand Caymen on holiday. My son wanted to do a resort course, and I was going to join him. I came down with a sinus infection the morning of the course so I had to bail out.

I went along with the boat as a snorkeler. WOW! I could see my son and his class 45 feet below me like they were right next to me. He came up and was really excited.

I figured this was a great way to bond with a teenager that doesn't know parents exist. We've had a great time since.

Saw a pic of grandpa diving, wondered what he was doing; figured if he can, so can I. Also, the peacefulness that I feel around a large body of water.

And, a big warm howdy to all those Pisces out there :)

Except for a 5 year tour at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, I've lived near the Ocean my whole life. I spent my high school and college years surfing and snorkling between Panama City, FL and Orange Beach, AL (I even got kicked off of Scubadoc's Ono Island for being an undesirable surfer-dude). Scuba diving was a natural progression.

Because my dad told me not to, it was too dangerous! :nono:

Actually, I was terrified of snorkels and thought it would be a good way to get over the fear!:idea:

It's been so long, I don't actually remember why I started doing it! If I'm this forgetful at my age I'm gonna hate 40!
Ber :bunny: Capricorn

Back
Top Bottom