What backplates are compatible with the Halcyon Pioneer 27?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadamune:
I tried contacting FredT via e-mail, but I didn't get a response. I read somewhere on this board that he's still picking up the pieces after Katrina. Does anybody know if he's still taking orders?

Same here, no reply to my email even though I used the email address Stephen posted above.

As of June 26th this was still good... ftagge@acadicom.net

You can pm Fred here or at TDS or at spearboard.com

Fred can be a little... hmm... slow to respond... sometimes. I hope that he's not loosing interest in putting out great gear.

You should be able to call Hammerhead directly. I made a few calls before I bought my BP. I'm sure they will answer any of your questions regarding location of cam slots.

Sadamune:
PerroneFord,

I'm afraid that a composite BP would melt if I were to do a volcano dive. I also think a composite BP would be easily crushed in the jaws of a giant sea monster. I prefer my armour, uhh, I mean backplate to be made of tougher stuff. Titanium is used for trauma plates in bullet proof vests, so giant fangs, spear points, scimitars, etc. would be easily deflected by a Ti BP. Stainless works well too, but it's kinda heavy...

Sadamune

Wow. I'm never diving in Oregon then. You have issues I can't help with. Best of luck finding your BP.

I've got a Hammerhead steel plate, and can confirm that the slots in the plate line up with the slots in the Pioneer 27. The Hammerhead has a deeper channel than the Halcyon plate though, so I don't know how well it'll fit (I pair my Oxycheq wing with the Hammerhead).

Thanks glug, the Hammerhead BP is looking very attractive right now. Incidentally, I got an e-mail response from Fred Tagge with complete product description and pricing. His products look very nice and his backplates are compatible with Halcyon Pioneers, so I am seriously contemplating one of his BPs and harness kits. He did mention that, oh well, I'll just paste it from the e-mail:

Due to Katrina all stock is readily available AS CUT only with manufacturing burrs intact, at an appropriate discount of course. The plates and STAs will require "finishing" per the attached finishing instructions. I am able to resume shipments of as cut plates and STAs now that UPS is marginally running again. Harness hardware is all finished. Home repairs are going very slowly, so I doubt if I'll have time to do any custom lead casting before mid summer '06. All sizes and materials of plates through .188 thick Stainless steel are in stock as cut, and I have a couple of 1/4" plates in hand. All harness material and hardware is also in stock, as well as a few lead items. I have a gentleman inland that is taking over finishing chores temporarily; so finished plates are again available with a bit longer lead-time.

So it looks like FredT's back, albeit rather preoccupied with reconstruction.

Sadamune

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom