Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 28 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to chime in since I sold my Zeagle Ranger to buy the Black Diamond. Here is why:

1) The Black Diamond has better padding on the shoulders and lombar area and is much more comfortable.
2) The BD's solid backplate holds the tank much more rigidly and compensates for tank strap stretch with a cool rubber insert that expands while the strap expands.
3) The BD integrated weight system is set so the weights are inserted after you don the BC. Totally cool... the benefits of a weight belt, without the weight belt!
4) The BD sides are rigid keeping the BC, tank, and hips as one unit.
5) The BD's left and right dump valves have large plastic knobs which are easy to find and don't get caught up in the wing.
6) The shoulder quick connects are round and swivel allowing the upper body to twist without binding at the shoulders or putting pressure on the hips.
7) The BD has huge pockets which all fold away when not in use for minimal drag. And they are easy to unfold/fold, you can do it underwater with minimal effort.
8) There must be 10 d-rings and 3 female quick connectors. If I ever have something connected to all them, I will look like a Christmas Tree! They may have overdone it a bit here...
9) Not to mention... it looks cool.

I only have a few dives on it but am about to go to Cozumel. I'll let you know if my mind changes during the trip... but right now I love everything about it.

David

Scubapro Classic is the best BC I've had for the past 10 years. Probably not good for tekk but otherwise outstanding.

My ScubaPro X-Tech. (Just like their new S-Tech line) Ok BC but I'm going to switch soon to either a OMS BP/Wing or IQ rig.

Escape/24lb wing easy tropics diving, ie Bonaire, Florida, and Ranger - cold water quarries (weight capacity) and Cozumel (see below). Why the latter? Ability of larger wing to comfortably support me and a buddy with possible loss of bouyancy for some period of time. Also some concern with downswell currents and lift. Also carry a large safety marker and 6 C-cell light in the larger pockets.

On my last trip three weeks, my buddy couldn't equalize beyond about 15 feet down one dive at Santa Rosa, the surface current was really ripping at somewhat of an angle from the current on the bottom, the dive boat followed the larger group's bubble train and we surfaced some distance away. It was a very windy day, estimate around 2 foot whitecapping chop where we surfaced (probably less, seems more in the water). Being able to get my head up a few more inches and to use the 6 ft marker was handy, not only to mark our location for the dive boat but to see and be seen by other boats, some moving pretty fast. IMHO, never ever dive Coz without a safety sausage or marker of some type.

My LDS is in Nashville, some 120 miles away (closest full service shop, actually) and there are no stocking Halcyon dealers in Kentucky or nearby in Tennessee. I might have gone with Halcyon if I could have local dealer support. My 15 yr old daughter also dives and is generally my buddy. She uses a Diva LX. and really likes it. All our gear has dealer support from Nashville LDS's.

FWIW, in some 60 dives over the past year since certification, I've not been in a group with a diver with harness/BP/wings. I imagine that will change in the Lower Keys this summer. I hope so, I'd like to try a rig sometime and talk directly with folks who use them.

However, I don't see getting something else - the Zeagles meet my needs and got a really good price from the LDS on the 24lb/Escape sans power inflator - I swap the Octo+ back and forth between the two. Folks complain about the Zeagle's apparent waist bulk - weight and storage pockets but in observing my gear on somebody else, the traditional swimming position with arms on/near torso appears to place the waist bulge in the body's slipstream. Ditto the face-planting issue - doesn't seem to happen - I don't use the rear weight pockets either.

Dive safe and often

Bill

These days I use a Halcyon SS backplate with 36# wing. I also have an aluminum backplate with 55# doubles wing, both in the DiveRite style.

On several occasions I've tried jacket-style BCs, and have come to detest them.

Sea Quest Pro QD+.

Very comfortable. Next to no squeeze even when fully inflated due to depth compensating waist band. Shoulder releases are brilliant and the weight integration is simple.

I use a Seaquest Dimension 3D acquired in 1994. This is a back inflate with expanding gussets or panels. It is for single tank only. Normally, without air, it fits like a glove, no drag at all. When you look at someone in a black suit wearing this black BC it is difficult to perceive that the person is actually wearing a BC, its profile is that flat. When it inflates the expandable single bag is controlled by two small stretch members attached at waist level and the cell maintains a very low profile. The harness straps are an engineers delight. They use a system of slip rings and anchor points arranged to transmit all forces from the waist and shoulders to the hard semi backpac. In other words, pull on the waist straps and the shoulder straps tighten. The waist buckle is rather small and fits over a cumberbun. There are two buckles, right and left, which must be pulled upwards to loosen the harness shoulder straps. The inflator hose and control is a slimline type which I find too dainty. The inflator hose is also a dump pull with the overpressure valve mounted on the left shoulder. There is a lower dump on the right rear.

Wall hangers:

SP Double Black Classic, too bulky and stiff, skirt too long.

Beuchat Masterlift, rides up, needs crotch strap. Otherwise nice.

Atpac Wing: Too flappy and floppy, drag when inflated

SP Tropic: large armholes cause ride up.

PS on Beuchat service: I bought the Beuchat used and found that it had a bad inflator boot and valve. I rebuilt the valve but couldn't find a rubber boot. At their direction I sent the entire vest to Beuchat, Miami. It was checked out, repaired and was on my doorstep 5 days later, no charge for service or return postage.

Originally posted by devjr
Beauchat Masterlift, rides up, needs crotch strap. Otherwise nice.

Boy do I agree with you there! I use the Masterlift Tec, and the addition of a DiveRite crotch strap was a must!

I used to dive recreationally with mostly scubapro or mares bcd's. since a few months I bought a Cressi Sub s111 vest. It is really a great vest with superb fit and very good buyancy.

I can recommend it to anyone for recreational diving.

Happy diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom