What books are you reading these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm slowly chewing my way through Prime Obsession by John Derbyshire. It's a history of Bernhard Riemann and the Riemann Hypothesis. I'm enjoying it, although it's discouraging to realize that twenty years ago, I would have understood every word in it without effort. No more!

Car and restaurant reading on the trip was Steve Martini's Double Tap. You just can't read mathematics in a moving car, I've learned.

I love science fiction -- Pratchett's good (and funny), Dan Simmons (the Hyperion series and others) is fabulous, as are William Gibson and Neil Stephenson, and one of my all-time favorites is C.J. Cherryh.

No Time To Lose by Pema Chodron, an American Buddhist nun.

She really does it for me. I also bought Comfortable with Uncertainty but haven't started it yet. (she authored that one too)

JB is reading Compassion of Command, a book given to him at Rob's funeral to inspire him with his command on his next deployment with 170 new Marines and the overwhelming responsibility.

Also, he chose a couple of Rob's books.

A History of God: The 4000 Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam - Karen Armstrong
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason - Sam Harris
Just finished - A Thread of Grace - Mary Doria Russell - about the plight of Italian Jews toward the end of WWII - very moving novel, beautifully written

wow...some heavy readin'.

My daughter is reading Pamela Anderson's book, I noticed.

Just not in chapel this time, I hope.

I finished DaVinci Code a couple months ago. It was way better than I thought it would be. Shadow Divers was wonderful, too.

I just completed Breaking the Line, which is an historical novel about Admiral Horatio Nelson (British Royal Navy hero in latter 18th century until 1805 when he was killed in battle). I love maritime history.

Also have been perusing a variety of photography publications for both topside and underwater photography.

Haven't read any good comedy for awhile. I wish Patrick McMannus would write about diving.

A Farewell to Arms - E. Hemingway - so far so good.. Just finished Life on Air - the memoirs of David Attenborough - by far the best read I've had all year, couldn't put it down. Also just finished Catcher in the Rye - good story telling

Vittorio Roveda's Images of the Gods; Khmer mythology in Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Probably going to take me all year to absorb just some of the information...

Some Terry Partchett Discworld novels -- light fantasy during business trips with long flights.

I just finished Thud! by Terry Pratchett, people tend to look at you strangely when you start giggling when reading but his books are just so funny that its hard not to...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom