What books are you reading these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm only a hundred pages in so I can't give an synopsis other than to say it's about a young Japanese runaway and "an aging simpleton" who can talk to cats. Strange yes, but Murakami is considered to be brilliant. So far the writing is great but I have no idea where it's going.

Echo Park by Michael Connely
A Summary of the Summa Theologiae by a Benedictine Monk
The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

The Ruins by Scott Smith authof of A Simple Plan

Read Shadow Divers and liked so much i have bought copies for a couple of my students. GREAT as everyone has noted. Also read Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley. It is a good book on cave diving history from his POV. Just finished Deep Descent and will be rereading Encyclopedia of Diving until i choose my next read.

Finished "The Silent World" by Jacques Cousteau, and now am reading two written by Bruce Lee.

-----

Mike.

Robert Parker's Spencer novels

jiveturkey:
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I'm only a hundred pages in so I can't give an synopsis other than to say it's about a young Japanese runaway and "an aging simpleton" who can talk to cats. Strange yes, but Murakami is considered to be brilliant. So far the writing is great but I have no idea where it's going.

I've read a few of Murakami's books - strange stuff at first, you really dunno where it's going but I've enjoyed them all

I am reading The Electric Michelangelo by Sarah Hall. It is about a tattoo artist in Coney Island in the 1930s and 40s. Really stunningly good writing. I guess that explains why it was nominated for the Man Booker Prize.

Shadow Divers is next on the agenda.

I'm finishing up the Discworld series -- got my son hooked on that line of books. Got tired of trying to explain why I was laughing while reading. :D

Starting in on Eric Flint's 1632 series (http://www.1632.org/)... Throw a 2001 West Virginia coal mining town into 1632 Germany.

I went to the store the other day and saw the book "The Christmas Shoes" on the shelf. I had seen the made for TV movie a year or two ago so I bought it. Book is always better than the movie, right?

It's a short story, but it took me a couple of days to finish. Mainly because I had to stop when my nose got all stuffy and it got hard to read thru the tears...I'm such a sap....a very touching little story. I'm thinking it would make a nice gift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom