What BP/W for a petite diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also costs more than twice what the rigs we are discussing cost.... $900...... DGX and DRiSsystem is about $350 with standard harness, about $450 with a backpad and the Deluxe style harness. Not worth paying 2x for the blue H tax....

I have a bad shoulder and a honeycomb plate in my right collarbone. The only time the harness is uncomfortable is if I am carrying doubles up from the water wearing only a t-shirt. In any diving insulation and suit, I have no problem.

I have a bad shoulder and a honeycomb plate in my right collarbone. The only time the harness is uncomfortable is if I am carrying doubles up from the water wearing only a t-shirt. In any diving insulation and suit, I have no problem.

I really would like a little padding...

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

It also costs more than twice what the rigs we are discussing cost.... $900...... DGX and DRiSsystem is about $350 with standard harness, about $450 with a backpad and the Deluxe style harness. Not worth paying 2x for the blue H tax....

Sounds much more affordable.... Since I have a little stiffness in my shoulder the continuous harness seems like it would be easier to get out of.... What is the Delux style harness?

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:34 PM ----------

I'm 5'1". I've got a short DSS kydex plate which I've used almost exclusively for over 4 years. I recently got the DSS short steel plate to use with my drysuit & winter wetsuit.
I think Dive Rite has a short Aluminum plate as well

I dive a drysuit year year round with either a light onsie or heavier garment for winter. A wetsuit is only if I go to Hawaii.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:35 PM ----------

oh, should also mention that if you want to have just one plate, for around $100, Tobin sells weight plates that bolt onto the backplate. For the small I think they're like 6.5lbs, and the medium size is somewhere around 8lbs.

Could you provide a link to these....I have no idea what a weight plate is....On Christmas Eve we had "weighted plates" from prime rib......

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:40 PM ----------

Thanks Tbone for breaking down those acronyms...I'll definately want steel weights. I currently use 20-24 lbs of lead with my ScubaPro Glide. I usually dive with 20 in the summer and 24 in the winter for salt water. In fresh I just use 20 all year and not bother messing with the extra bits...

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

I won't be getting two kits....just the one and use it here or traveling. I may go to Okinawa in winter 2016 and will schlep that with me and dive my wetsuit. I really don't like changing kit except the exposure suit.

how far away from LA are you? Not sure what cold water brr means. Honestly your best bet is to call Tobin. The plates literally bolt on the wings of the DSS backplates.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=8
They just make the backplate thicker on the edges of the plate, essentially making the plate 2-3x as thick as it normally is. They go on with sex bolts and can be removed with two slide locks or flathead screw drivers.

The Deluxe Harness actually goes back to one of the original harness designs.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Deluxe Harness
It has a chest strap and helps to pull the weight more towards the center of your collar bone than to the edge of your shoulder joint. There is also an option at time of purchase to have a single quick release buckle put on the shoulder which makes getting in and out of the rig much easier.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - TransPlate Harness
The Transplate style harness goes one step further and adds shoulder pads and pushes the shoulder strap attachment to the waist to underneath the arm pit instead of back at the backplate. There are QR's on both shoulders but you rarely have to use them with this style of harness.

For a normal one piece harness, which I would still try first if you have the option, SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Basic Harness Shoulder Pads
Dive Rite makes these for the shoulder straps that are 3mm *I think, could be 5* neoprene sleeves that go on the shoulders and help to make it a bit more comfortable. The one piece style harness is preferred by a lot of women especially since it helps to take some pressure off of your natural flotation devices. For $13 these with the one piece harness should work fine for you.

I have written a long response to this question somewhere in the past but I don't have time to look it up. In short, I found the DSS comfort harness extremely uncomfortable.. That was my experience. I exclusively use Halcyon short plates. I personally like using the STA as I prefer the valve on the single tank a little further back from my head and the sta facilitates that. I am 5'5" so I definitely would NOT be concerned that the halcyon short plate would be too small for you.

Also to be honest I wanted padding etc. and came to realize that it really was not necessary for me at all.

Really, if at all possible, the best thing would be if you could try some of the options and see how they work for you.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 05:28 PM ----------

To further clarify: the quick releases and chest straps of the comfort harness dug into various parts of my anatomy and although I had a dealer working with me on reconfiguring it, it just didn't happen with my body type.

I'm pretty sure somebody sells neoprene sleeves that you can put on your harness if you seriously need padding. I have a really hard time imagining a condition that would require it, since I think my skinny shoulder with the plate in the collarbone is about as unpleasant a setup for a harness strap as you could have. But if you are going DIR, you do not have the option of a "comfort" type harness, because a continuous harness is required. All you can do is pad it, if you feel the need.

I'm pretty sure somebody sells neoprene sleeves that you can put on your harness if you seriously need padding. I have a really hard time imagining a condition that would require it, since I think my skinny shoulder with the plate in the collarbone is about as unpleasant a setup for a harness strap as you could have. But if you are going DIR, you do not have the option of a "comfort" type harness, because a continuous harness is required. All you can do is pad it, if you feel the need.

Your shoulder issue sounds more invasive than mine...I had a "cleanup" of frayed tendons and bone spurs in 8/2011 and then in 4/2012 a clavical resection. I think the resection should have been shoved up their royal bums....IMHO

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 04:34 PM ----------

Also to be honest I wanted padding etc. and came to realize that it really was not necessary for me at all.

Really, if at all possible, the best thing would be if you could try some of the options and see how they work for you.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 05:28 PM ----------

To further clarify: the quick releases and chest straps of the comfort harness dug into various parts of my anatomy and although I had a dealer working with me on reconfiguring it, it just didn't happen with my body type.

I saw the harness that Tbone mentioned with the chest strap and the clips that release, however that is just about going back to how my BCD functions and that doesn't excite me one bit! It's difficult to get on and off unless I pop the straps. I did get 90% of my shoulder movement back but its just awnry when I have to get that bcd off.. Thanks for reposting your comments!!!

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

Sounds like I don't want the Kydex, but I do want steel--the DSS brand is more kind to my checkbook and the CPA I live with--er married. I think the Halcyon looks very comfy... Looks like I would fit a DSS Medium or Halcyon short.... I'm still up for more feedback....

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Oh...and my "floaty bits" aren't much of a problem I just tell them to duck!

---------- Post added December 28th, 2014 at 04:46 PM ----------

how far away from LA are you? Not sure what cold water brr means. Honestly your best bet is to call Tobin.

I live in Spokane, have family in Malibu and friends in Rancho Palos Verdes. I don't really want to make a trip down there as we already have a trip booked in June to take our graduating senior to San Francisco. I'll be boat diving in Monteray on one of those days....(that's a bucket list dive!)

Again, I would strongly suggest borrowing/trying if at all possible. The DSS and Halcyon plates are very different - so much so that I replaced my DSS (medium) plate with a Halcyon small plate even after I had replaced the harness on the DSS. To be fair, however, the reasons I like the H plate are reasons others prefer the DSS... Which is why I suggest trying them out if possible. (Same thing is true with drysuits).

If the cost is a concern, but you end up with a preference for Halcyon, I'd make two points: 1) it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the right thing (for you) once. 2) second hand H short plates, especially SS, do come up for sale periodically, and since they are not a wear-and-tear item, they are a no-brainer to purchase used.

Just a few more thoughts.... From someone who DID buy twice :)

Again, I would strongly suggest borrowing/trying if at all possible. The DSS and Halcyon plates are very different - so much so that I replaced my DSS (medium) plate with a Halcyon small plate even after I had replaced the harness on the DSS. To be fair, however, the reasons I like the H plate are reasons others prefer the DSS... Which is why I suggest trying them out if possible. (Same thing is true with drysuits).

If the cost is a concern, but you end up with a preference for Halcyon, I'd make two points: 1) it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the right thing (for you) once. 2) second hand H short plates, especially SS, do come up for sale periodically, and since they are not a wear-and-tear item, they are a no-brainer to purchase used.

Just a few more thoughts.... From someone who DID buy twice :)

I definately don't mind buying used...knowing that it hasn't been run over by a truck! If you see something...p/m me. I have a very bad habit of buying once, then upgrading...I must buy this once..and buy it smart!!

I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs. In September of this year (thanks to Tobin), I started diving with a small Deep Sea Supply stainless steel backplate/30 lb. wing set up. The total weight for the backplate/wing and harness is a little over 4 lbs. (negative) in fresh water. With an HP 100 (steel tank), the setup is amazingly stable, as compared to the BCD that I started with. Lately most of my diving has been in a drysuit. The straps on the backplate are not padded, but they feel fine. Honestly, I just don't notice the straps at all while I'm diving or hauling my tank around. I just notice how stable and balanced my whole rig is when I'm diving.

My left shoulder has rotator cuff issues, so I opted for the glide harness adapter with the DSS backplate. This allows the right side shoulder strap to be easily loosened and then re-tightened during donning and doffing. I put my left shoulder in the rig first, my right shoulder second and then pull right side waist strap to tighten the right shoulder strap. It seems like you could use the glide harness adapter on either side of the backplate, depending on which shoulder has mobility issues.

I really can't say enough good things about the DSS setup. No STA is needed, it's easy to remove the wing for cleaning and drying, and it's easy to put a smaller DSS wing on for warmer weather diving.

Back
Top Bottom