What brand of wetsuit and where to get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MerlinDV

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a realtively rookie driver, and am looking at getting a wetsuit for tropical diving (Caymans, Mexico etc). What brans would you reccommend? Which are good - and bad. What thickness would you reccommend?

And last, where would you reccommend getting it? I am from Canada, so keep that in mind.

Thanks,

Merlin

MerlinDV,

Hi and welcome to the boards.
In 80 degree water I am comfortable in a 3mm shorty,but I want full protection so I bought a 3/2 fullsuit. A lot depends on how easy you get cold. I have seen 1 diver wearing a 5/3 fullsuit with a hooded vest over it, while the diver next to him was wearing shorts, and the one next to him a diveskin.
I looked on-line for wetsuits.It seems like all the manufacturers have a website. When I found some I liked, I used the dealer locator on the website to find the dealer nearest me. Then I went and tried them on. I bought what fit me the best.I tried on three different brands before making a decision. If it doesn't fit well it isn't going to do you any good. Don't let someone talk you into buying a suit that doesn't fit well! I've seen sales people talk customers into buying suits that didn't fit. If it has loose spots it's going to pump water when you move. Water transfer equals heat loss. Heat loss leads to hypothermia. It needs to fit snug, but not so snug that you can't breath or move.
The siuts I like the best are made by Bare, They are made in Canada, so they shouldn't be to hard for you to find. Their website is at http://www.bare-wetsuits.com

Hope this helps,

Tavi:tree:

Remember, when you try on a wetsuit..if you don't break a sweat trying it on, it is too big! (They are MUCH easier to put on wet...but most diveshops don't allow that!)

thanks guys,
I guess I should have mentioned that I am very familiar with wetsuits, and how they should fit. I'm very much into water skiiing. What I was really hoping for was some brand reccommendations, and brands to avoid.

Thanks,

Merlin

I've used some of the cheapest 3mm shorty's and they've all worked just fine. Most had sewn and glued seams. I've never owned a full suit, so can't speak about that. Most of my diving has been in 80+ degree water.

Recent articles are showing that the "titanium" wetsuit material is just marketing hype.

Try WetWear at http://www.wetwear.com
They use the Rubatex G231 neoprene which is supposed to as good as it gets. I don't at this time own one of their wetsuits but have used them in the past with very good results. The quality was outstanding and, seeing how these were older suits (2+ yrs.) with lots of use, the neoprene was still in excellent condition. I can't voucher for ordering a wetsuit over the internet but as with any custom job the end result can only be as good as the initial measurements.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom