What Camera and housing would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But back to the original posters question, if a prosumer camcorder/housing rig is in your budget go for it. But if its a decision between a consumer SD camcorder and a consumer HD camcorder, I would go with the HD.

I second this comment too. While the Sony 3 CCD cameras are quite versatile, the HD cameras blow them away. IMO their time UW SD has come and gone. I recently shot some footage on a 1 CMOS camera in pretty dark water (with 100 watts of HID behind it) and came out better than expected. Vibrant, lush and there is nothing like 1080 on a big HD LCD tv.

X

I second this comment too. While the Sony 3 CCD cameras are quite versatile, the HD cameras blow them away. IMO their time UW SD has come and gone. I recently shot some footage on a 1 CMOS camera in pretty dark water (with 100 watts of HID behind it) and came out better than expected. Vibrant, lush and there is nothing like 1080 on a big HD LCD tv.

X

That's not really agreeing with what he's saying, you're saying the complete opposite. He's stating that if you're choosing from a consumer line, HDV is the way to go. I think he's right on with this. The SD era has not passed it's time yet. It will but it's going to take something monumental for the consumer market to beat out the pro-sumer SD cameras. That wont happen until the pro-sumer HD market makes a massive step forward. If you go to MTV's studios in LA you'll see what their camera crews are using. They're all SD Panasonic DVX100 cameras, it's been the standard for a long time now and will be for a little while longer.

*disclaimer* I've spent more time in their studios than watching the channel, and I've only been to there about 5 times :wink:

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom