What constitutes cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLatethanNever,
For 70 degrees or above I "roast" in the 3/2 suit. In 80 degree water I wear my swim trunks and a T shirt. My really comfortable temp range is 55 to 65 degrees.

Kane(adian),

The dives are are usually 25 mins at that temp.

Striking Viking,

I was wondering If I could just not factor in that extra 10 feet. Especially since I don't feel stressed at those temps.

I will say that I am very aware of the existence of hypothermia which is one reason I limit most of my dives to 25 minutes.

The reason I do these dives is because that is what is readily available.

Sorry I had to end so abruptly. Had to take one of my daughters to marching band practice.

Anyway back to the discussion. I dive in these temps since that is what is readily available in my locale. No macho thing here(I'm like Mr Bubbles at the half my life thing except i've got more years than he does :) )I really like diving and I want to keep my skills up so I dive what is available.

What is cold does seem to be highly subjective and that is what made me wonder if there is a point where low temps do in fact increase nitrogen absorbtion or if it is specifically the temp that induces some stress in the individual diver.

Thanks for the responses

jbd

40's or colder - pour hot water in my 1/4" wet suit (I don't have a dry suit), 50's - wear 1/4" wet suit with a hood, 60's - wear 1/4" wet suit without hood, 70's - wear 1/8" weat suit, 80's or warmer - wear a swim suit only. This works for me, you may be more or less sensitive to cold. My point is if you are cold, it's cold.

WWW™

I, like many, use the 'sack test' to determine if water is warm enough for a quick swim. Over the years my 'failure' temperature has risen from 65 to 68. Now, I have friends (some of whom grew up in Long Island with me)living in California who plunge into 68F water without a problem. For an extended stay on a board or body surfing, I want a 3mil full; for diving, 5 mil possibly with hood.

My brother swims for at least 10 minutes at Coney Island every Jan 1st with a large group of people. No wetsuit. Critical failure of the sack test here.

I've seen people happily swimming in just their bathing suits in Maine's 55 degree water on Memorial Day. I had trouble getting in past my knees.

A while back I read something in the NY Times about a tribe in Northeastern (?) Canada that has a much higher tolerance for cold than the average person... If I recall correctly they described incidents where decendants of this tribe had survived while other members of the group(s?) had perished from exposure/hypothermia. I thought one of the incidents took place on a fishing boat (in the great banks, which is why I think it is Northeastern Canada, but it could be Western). Anyway, the article attributed their survival to inheritance... almost makes you wonder if Mario's grandkids are going to have gills...

PADI's wording may not be the best, but what they mean is if you are on a dive where you are likely to be stressed by getting cold, then an adjustment to the dive needs to be made to compensate. So, if you're diving in 65 degree water in your bathing suit, the adjustment applies, but if you're in a drysuit it doesn't.
Rick

jbd,It sounds like you have been diving at Dutch Springs.
Mattiedread, What's a sack test?
Mike

I think a "SACK" test is when the male genitals (sp) begin move towards the body in search of heat. This happens either in cold water or when it is just plain COLD!!. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Brad

Yea that would work alright.Like a scared turtle.
Mike

I had to look up the temperature conversion tables to work that one out... that's 3 degrees Celsius!!!! :whoa:

While I am very warm-blooded and am usually the only one in a 2mm shortie while all my fellow divers are in 3mm long suits (we're talking Asian diving here), the thought of 39F water, even in a dry suit, is just plain horrific.... but I guess if that was what was available I would do it - would I? (Speaking of nipples, mine are standing on end just thinking about those temperatures...*brrrrrrrr* :cold: ).

:eek:I am in awe of you, jbd....

Originally posted by keralucu
(Speaking of nipples, mine are standing on end just thinking about those temperatures...*brrrrrrrr* :cold: ).

:eek:I am in awe of you, jbd....

I think I just got a mental picture.

Back
Top Bottom