What constitutes cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.D.'d on diving...

You ask if we should add 10' when planning a dive to 50' in 65 degree agwa... I agree with you such a temperature is swimming weather for most; however, I don't think we should ever "plan" on adding 10' ( for thermal reasons ) cause we shouldn't plan on getting cold! Better to plan our insulation to be comfortable on every dive... then, if we get to depth & realize we underestimated our thermal needs, we can jump to the next table/ limit our d.t./ ascend above the thermocline/ pee in our suit etc., etc..

I teach N.A.U.I. curriculum, & our dive planning always involves calculating m.d.t./a.m.d.t. for the planned depth as well as planned depth +10'. This prepares us for the possibility of exceeding our planned depth, overexerting ourselves or getting chilled.

Bottom line...stay conservative. When we push, the water might push back.

Excellent wrap up Dan..... Thanks for pointing the way to yet another newbie.

Keep warm, dive deep, but be able to dive tomorrow

Hey Ontario,
Just for clarification Mother Superior is the "big lake" Yours is still great though.....

Back
Top Bottom