What cool things? (I hesitate to ask this...heh)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud (fellow So Cal) and I hit the Avalon dive park on Sat. After he posted in this thread his moonwalking post, I knew I had to try it. Many of you have probably heard of this, or done this, but both were completely new to me, so I was pretty fired up to incorporate this into one of our dives.

So on dive two, I took us out to a place called "the old pier" - its far from where the hoards of DM's take thier students, and its rare I see anyone there. It has the required flat sandy bottom, isn't too deep (about 50 fsw.)

We push out any gas from the BC, wedge the fins under the wreckage and proceeded to kick it up for about 10 minutes. I was laughing so hard I almost spit my reg a few times.

The Moonwalk
So novice that I am, I'm going all Neil Armstrong and bouncing around. I then do a forward flip and stick a perfect Marilou landing. I turn around, thinking I'm all that. Pretty cool for a first timer, I think....

Arnaud, obviously a pro at this (doubtless smirking behind his reg and mask) starts slowly with a mild Armstrong bounce. Then he folds his arms, sort of squats and starts kicking out his feet like a guy at a Russian wedding. Then he throws out both arms and both legs in a true gravity defying dance. It was beautiful.

Not to be outdone, I kick off the bottom, raise my arms in the air and go all Trinity (Matrix) and look around for some villian to kick.

Arnaud then rises off the bottom, does a backflip (blowing bubbles for effect) and sticks the dismount. Hmmm, I think... Very nice form.

I climb up about 4 feet (its really weird without fins on) onto the edge of the old pier, look forward, spread my arms apart and bounce up into a perfect Luganis-esque swan dive....and hold position as I drift slowly to the bottom and "dive" into the sand.

We are just cracking up and huffin' & puffin' (I shutter to think of our SAC/SCR/LMNO on THIS dive...) We leave no small dust cloud, some fish scratching their heads and we don the fins and go do some real diving in the park. I was snickering through the rest of the day.

What a great time. Moonwalking.... too funny. I was humming that Police song all day. "Giant steps are what you take - walking on the moon..."

Arnaud - you rock buddy. Thanks.

Ken

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Pass the Octopus - sort of like the kids game of Hot Potato. You see how many divers you can pass it too before the thing goes warhammer on you.

ROFL. I saw that once. Diver was playing with Octo. Everything was fine, then all of the sudden, it freaks out and wraps around his arm. He's trying to pry it off and it works it way up to his shoulder and head. He never really freaked out, but could NOT get free. I wanted to help, but I was laughing so hard I flooded my mask and swallowed a WHOLE LOT of water. Luckily we were in only about 30 ft and there were others that could help cause I had to surface to keep from drowning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom