what course next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is "Intro to Tech" a PADI specific course or is it something that TDI and other agencies offer as well?

Also, does the first course in Tech overlap with "advanced nitrox + deco procedures" or are they totally different?

The PADI/DSAT one is a pre-tech course. It actually counts as a recreational 'speciality' course when it comes to certification. However, it can be credited towards some of the modules included in the DSAT/PADI entry level 'Tech 40' (previously called the 'Tech Deep 1') course.

The course primarily introduces the student into doubles diving, technical configurations and advanced dive planning. Think of it as a 'Tech DSD'. The max depth is 10m - it's a skills based experience, not a depth based dive.

PADI/DSAT have the following tech courses - which (with different names) essentially match the TDI; Adv Nitrox, Deco Procedures and Extended Range progression.

There's a good breakdown of the courses here: Technical courses Phuket, tech instructor courses, wreck diving, cave diving, deep diving, decompression diving

At the risk of sounding too "weenie", I'd recommend the rescue course. Aside from the skills, it's a lot of fun and does prepare you to better deal with emergencies

ok, so i am currently PADI AOW + SDI Nitrox and wanting to go "tec".

my LDS teaches PADI and TDI

when i mentioned i was thinking about the TDI advanced nitrox + deco procedures it was hinted i should probably do the PADI Deep course first.

what do you guys think?

ps. i'd like to do Fundies, but the next course is in about 3 weeks. it's also 1000km's away
Hey there as an OWSI I would recommend doing the deep course. However if youre thinking of going pro then wait a while and get deep certified with the MSDT course. That way you can teach it too!

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Dive more. Stop taking courses to get you into the water.

The recreational deep course is worthless for anyone thinking "of going tec". Its a no stop, generally single tank bounce dive course. The two can't be compared.

Padi "deep" is purely to get AOW people a little bit below 30m on guided dives. Its not designed or intended to be any sort of stepping stone on the way to technical.

What he said. I dive over 50 dives between my last course (Fundies) and the course before that. I plan to log at least 75-100 between Fundies and any upcoming course.

Peace,
Greg

I'm not "taking courses to get into the water" :)

Currently I dive at least once a week, but I'd like to do more (plus deeper/longer)

I'm not "taking courses to get into the water" :)

Currently I dive at least once a week, but I'd like to do more (plus deeper/longer)

It was tongue-in-cheek. :) Your first post seemed very focused on 'courses'.

Go dive. Enjoy diving. Be a good team mate / buddy. Get good at it. Take the rescue course with a good instructor. Go dive some more, get better at it. Learn to solve problem under water. Go dive some more.

I'm not sure why so many are so keen to "get into tech" with < 100 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom