What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkle, the most pointless thing in the world. also mine feels a lot like my bcd hose so i end up trying to inflate my snorkle. also i swim on my side so its pointless.

piikki:
I wish I hadn't bought thin-sole boots. They don't really serve me well on shore entries. Not that there were options because the local hard-soles did not fit.

I like my fins but I hope I'd bought them from the same shop that the boots, so they wouldnt have ended up being too large.

This is not what this thread is about because this is a singular, brand item but my most disappointing investment: DR Transweight pockets (16lbs version). They just don't do their job well in my opinion. Given option they'd go back to shop tomorrow.

Same here.. thats the only regret so far. Should have just ordered the Hard soles.

well, a semi dry suit was the worst. I am NOT a stock size as I have a 46 inch shoulders from many yars as a swimmer and 36" waist; but weigh 200 lbs at 5'6" - so I looked like the michelin man - I got suit squeeze in a most painful place at 80' in Gilboa - so, I thoiught I'd get it altered; then it became more semi than dry :)

I havew had most of the gear y'all talk about - I had one of those pigsticker knives - used it more as a spatula than knife - snorkels are a PITA but as an instructor I must have one -

engagement and wedding ring - too funny - I know my life has changed since obtaining those - and the the requisite kids - and so I am in a different career, living in a different city, wondering where the darned "Easy" button is

I also wished I had gone with the octo, the air 2 has been a device that after I have my yearly service done I have to go back to the shop and have them readjust, because it was tuned too sensitive. This past year it took two trips back to fix.
diver3523:
Gotta say, the AIR 2 alternate air source. Its difficult to use in an Out-of-Air emergency and breathing with it is uncomfortable. Wish I would've went with the regular octopus....

Number One: Putting career first and waiting until I was 50 to start diving.
Number Two: Dacor Viper America regulator
Number Three: Dacor Supreme mini-gauges; see number one; can't see the little numbers

My first wetsuit... I bought the cheapest the LDS had $99 it beagn to rip right after OW. Same thing with the gloves $25. I replaced the gloves with cheaper $10 Tusa warm water gloves and they have been great.

I also bought a shark-killer of a knife thinking that's what you want down there.
I ended up replacing it with a Tusa mini bc knive which I lost the first time I used it to cut fishing line. The locking mechanism was junk. Now I have a wenoka Squeeze Lock knife that's been pretty good.

shark.byte.usa:
SP Twin Jets - Replace with $20 Jets from eBay and sold Twins on eBay for what I paid for them.

Yoke regs - Wish I would have gone with the DIN and spent a few extra bucks and got the enviro sealed model, now I wouldn't be thinking of upgrading.

Console - didn't last long

Snorkel - Expensive dry snorkel sits decaying on the bottom of dive box.

Catalina C80 - Darn thing never gets filled to 3300, so I usually end up with 65-68cf instead of 77!

Retractible compass - Hate it, will go wrist mount

Ditto on on the C80, snorkel, console, and retractable compass...

Moving to steel HP100 and moved to wrist mount compass and computer...

I'll also add Insta-dry hood (don't try it with an 18" neck); any clear-skirt mask.

A Mares DiveMate, (looks like a Ocra Pilot) it was one of those "talking" computers, Purchased it back in the mid '90's used only a couple of times. One of the reasons I got it was that it was able to be mounted on a mask strap in it's "talking" mode by that I mean it gave depth / time / no deco status and such. The display totally lacked in that it was too small for my eyes to pick it up with any ease, Sat in my toolbox for over five years before I was able to sell it. :shakehead

Great thread, TSandM!

I read from people on this board all the time that you should wait to buy your equipment and that Sports Chalet is a terrible DS with awful service.

Laura and I bought our "personal gear" - mask, fins, snorkel, boots, gloves - the weekend before our first OW class. We bought them at Sports Chalet (big sports chain store in southwest US). The Rancho Cucamonga store was the location of the annual SCUBS Tent Sale. We decided to go up and take a look at what they had to offer. We each ended up with wetsuit, hood, BDC, reg and octo, knife, console computer w/compass and an assortment of "goodies". I think we ended up "saving" about $2K or so.

In the end, the two things I no longer have are the hood and the snorkel. It turns out that I really hate having anything that tight around my neck. That came off on the swim out at La Jolla Shores on our very first OW dive. It hasn’t been on since. (I dive with a beanie, now.) The snorkel was one of those "dry" snorkels that just never seem to be dry. I’ve replaced that with an "old-fashioned" tube snorkel with no fancy crap on the top. It breaths much better and stays much drier. (Laura got the same model I did at first and loves it.)

I would not recommend the brand of dive computer we ended up with for a number of technical reasons, but we are not unhappy with them.

The advice and service we got from the people at Sports Chalet were excellent. In my opinion, they steered us in the right direction and gave us good information with which to make our choices. Most of the suggestions were far from the most expensive or top of the line stuff, too.

Now, whose up for the Marineroom at La Jolla on Wednesday or Thursday morning?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom