What dive computer is in YOUR future?

What dive computer is in YOUR Future?

• Get the Nitek3, what a great price!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • The VR3 is the Way to Go! Video Games!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Ditch computers altogether, loser!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Wait til something new comes out.

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently dive a Vyper and like it but as I look towards moving towards the technical diving realm (deep "real" wrecks are cool") I am looking at getting a trimix capable computer. Of course this is at least a year off or so my wifey has told me. I have been watching the VR3 and the Abysmal Explorer with great interest. Right now I would have to say the Explorer is slightly in the lead in my books due to their PC software which allows you to plan the dive on the PC, download it to the wet computer and print out a set of back-up tables. This is the same deco software Abysmal sells for several hundred dollars and they include it with the computer. I am thinking of buying this software anyway to cover any diving I do before I am able to buy this computer.

Won't tell you what you should do but I'll tell you what I do.. :wink:

I have a Bottom Timer (Uwatec) and watch backup (Casio - also does depth/time). I print a set of tables from GUE's Decoplanner and laminate them. The tables I print have times ranging from 0 bottom time to 120min bottom time (I may need to print more now with longer than 120min but that's another story) with corresponding deco stops and times...

I use standard mixes (EAN so far, not into Trimix yet) so after about 5 dives I start to get a hang of where I should stop and how much time I need to stop there even without looking at the tables I printed though I do glance at them to make sure now and then. Keep them in my thigh pocket within easy reach.

I used to use a computer but find that I like my BT/Tables much better... besides, you've got to have them as a backup anyway even if you use a puter right??

DSAO!!

Originally posted by bengiddins
Well my vote goes to the Suunto Vytec, which isn't on your list.
One for me and one for the Mrs. Now all I need is some cash!

Hey DNAxdiver,
I am pretty sure the computer pictured at the link in your post is the Abyss Explorer computer, just with a different name. I am thinking of purchasing one next year when my bonus check comes in. You can get it in 2 flavors, nitrox or trimix, and I think it can handle 10 gas switches in the trimix version. Somewhat comparable to the OMS VR-3 but the Explorer comes with the Abysmal deco software for your dry computer (PC) so you can plan the dive, download the profile to the wet computer and print out backup tables. A pretty cool setup. I have heard mostly good things about this computer.

I currently dive with a vyper, which I love, just don't do a deep deco dive with it or you will pay heavily, (long deco). And if you blow your stop, no computer for 48 hrs. (I followed my tables, not my computer) Make sure you switch it to gauge mode "before" the dive. Oh well, live and learn.

For the future, I am looking at the HS Explorer, at least until some
one can tell me why I shouldn't. It is basically an oem version of the abyss explorer. I seems to be much cheaper, hopefullly it works just as well

I have a Vyper and it does everything I need from a computer at this point. By the time I'm ready for a new computer I'm sure my Vyper will be what an old Atari video game is to a Playstation 2 or X-Box...LOL!!:D

In my immediate future, in fact it's sitting on my kitchen counter waiting for me. I'll dive it Sunday if all goes well. my vyper is now relegated to backup (or Ebay) status.

I thought long and hard before spending this much on a computer but I like to use a computer on air dives and I wanted one that will take my deco gasses into account. That basically left me 3 choices, VR3, HS Explorer, Nitek 3. Nitek was eliminated because it only does 3 set gases, HS I just don't like the looks of (the material just doesn't look rugged) so that left the VR3.

Hopefully it won't be a polished pig :)

Tom

Back
Top Bottom