What do North American Divers do in Winter ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In winter, there is:

1) ice diving
2) dive travel to florida and california $
3) dive travel to mexico and hawaii $$
4) dive travel to palau, fiji, truk, bikini $$$$$$$$$
5) cleaning and storing your dive gear, then indoor swimming and jogging to stay in shape over the winter months.
6) reading technical topics in diving to enhance your knowledge, such as the NOAA Dive Manual, IANTD and TDI technical manuals, etc.

Take your pick!

I used to live in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Pennslyvania, and Colorado. I finally figured out, I hate cold water and winter. I moved to Florida in 1990 and now 500 year round dives later, I still go out every weekend and dive. To quote Harley diver Come to Florida.
"The springs are always 68-72 degrees.
If you make it all the way to the keys bring suntan lotion."

Winter means fewer divers, more accessiblilty to places.

:mean:

I alway use the off season to service all of my gear. VIP & hydro the tanks etc....

You have to do it and there is no sense in trying to do it when you could be in the water.

On Catalina, in Caleeforneeaa and in the Gulf Coast states we dive year-round. Right folks?

Dr. Bill

GotAir once bubbled...
I'm just curious what it is like. you gave 2 good points that I never thought of. does ice form underwater as well ? Mike

I believe I remember reading an article on divers in Antartica who encountered a secondary layer of ice beneath the surface at a specific depth. Was fascinating.

Do I ice dive? No. Cold weather months are spent going to college. :)

drbill once bubbled...
On Catalina, in Caleeforneeaa and in the Gulf Coast states we dive year-round. Right folks?

Dr. Bill

LOL!!:D I wonder how long you've been waiting to do that!

OK- I'll be the first Northeast diver to admit I "don't" dive year round (not here anyway).

I've been in the water as late as December, and as early as March, and I don't know what the attraction is.

Not knocking you year round guys. I think it's because my primary interest in diving is observing the aquatic life. Everything is too cold, brown and lifeless for my taste.

I try to do my dive travel in the winter, read about diving, get my gear serviced, and fiddle with new configurations.

I'm moving to Fla. this year, so I won't be able to afford my usual mid winter trip.It's going to drive me crazy not being able to dive for that long a stretch......

GotAir once bubbled...
Are you crazy or what ? please call 1-800 GET-a-LIFE. please explain what its like to cut a 4ft hole in the Ice and Dive In ? I'm serious. please tell our veiwer's what it is like. are we missing the Crystal Palace or something ? Mike

First off, it's a 12' by 12' triangle cut into 1 to 4 feet of ice. Secondly, the water temperature is exactly the same under the ice, as it is under the thermo cline during the summer, when the water temperature above the thermo cline is in the 80's.

(For those who need to be pointed out when sarcasm starts,,, tongue firmly in cheek now)
The only cold we deal with is the air temperature, and because we are not soft, pink skinned, whinny little wusses; we men and women take to the ice because we are of a special caliber of divers who are revered the world over. Only those who pass THE test can call themselves Ice Divers. This test is of course a secret and is known only to the brave heros of the Ice Divers of the World. (Tongue now out of cheek)

We dive under the ice for many reasons; here are just a few of them.

1) Camaraderie: It's a social event that re-establishes close friendships that grow every summer with every new diver that comes along.

2) Clear waters: The water clarity will rival that of the best spring or ocean environment. We can see objects clearly over 200 feet away.

3) The life under the ice: You have to see it to believe it. Insects that crawl on the ice bottom, fish that would normally be at the bottom hiding come right up to you and wonder what the heck you are.

4) The feeling of being on another planet: You can stand on the ice, upside down, and in a few seconds the world will "turn" and suddenly you feel like you are on some strange planet. Most people tend to giggle a lot when they do this the first time, flooding their masks.

5) It's the biggest cave you will ever dive into: The main difference between cave and ice diving, is that in cave diving you have a tunnel to follow and should have a line to guide you back if the cave has multiple branches. If you loose your way in a cave you *may* be able to find your way out if it is not a complicated tunnel system. You can dive a cave with just you and a buddy. In ice diving you have no tunnel, your line is attached to you leading up to the line tender on the surface, and if you somehow loose your line you stand a better than 99 percent chance of not finding your way to the hole and will die. You need at least 4 people to ice dive safely, any less and the risks are far too great for all normal thinking people. We read about those people in accident reports every winter.

Just as in cave, wreck, or deep diving, ice diving is NOT for everyone, and thats just the way it is. No one is any less for not wanting to dive in an environment that they feel is not for them, regardless of the reason.

Thanks pt40fathoms

You and the other guy that replied to my question with some real answers I really appreciate. I choose to ask the question on Ice diving because it seems to be outside the Box. And i felt that there must be something about it that was interesting enough to take such a risk. I got slammed pretty hard with that 800 number thingy tho and I do appolgize that i rocked some people's boat. i was just trying to break the Ice :) I started having questions about it when Divrlady said she was going to take class's on ice diving this winter. Dandy Don wants to know what a troll is? he should post the question himself but i dont mind helping the Old Man out sense his reveiw of me was sooooo kind (not) Mike

Back
Top Bottom