What do we (DORKS) eat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueberries and spinach???

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - i love feta!!! (good think i married into a greek family!)

all bbq- cedar grilled salmon with grilled veggies, then grilled pineapple dipped in melted chocolate. done cookin? NO cleanup!

Quad chocolate muffins, AW? Ecky would love those...

We do a lot of veggie-based cooking. Most recent dish was ratatouille with eggplant, tomato, garlic, cheese, zucchini, and onions over penne pasta. Tonight will probably be veggie stir fry...

My favorite recipes involve opening canned ingredients, dumping them into a pot and heating. This is mainly limited to chili and chicken & dumplings. Even the dumplings come canned. The only non-canned ingredients I use for either are the ground beef and chicken. Those are real. They come from the freezer :D

We also grill.

My husband refuses to eat casseroles.

Oh- and the best pizza in town is up at the BP gas station. Seriously- it's better than Dominoes, Pizza Hut or Papa Johns. Ahhhh, the scent of gasoline fumes.

Lol...someday, TG, Ecky and I will have to have you and your hubby over, and we'll cook for you.

Or you can bring me that pizza. Always room and time for pizza. :p

OK, here we go!!! My recipe for Kentucky Brats, this is my personal creation!

Boil, cook, the brats in beer in a deep pan. What kind of beer? It does not matter since this
does little for the brat other than making sure the brat is cooked through and through for the final process. Drain the brats and add a liberal amount of Wild Turkey Liquor, not whiskey, the liquor with honey. Now this is the important part that will make or break your day, when the liquid starts to bubble, light it up! Stand way back during this process!!! Flambe the brats till the flames drop off, keep flipping the brats till the mixture becomes a sticky glaze. Careful not to burn the glaze at this point. Serving with condiments is optional and they are very tasty without anything but the glaze. Enjoy!

OK, here we go!!! My recipe for Kentucky Brats, this is my personal creation!

Boil, cook, the brats in beer in a deep pan..........Enjoy!

Sounds like child abuse to me.:no

Hmm... I don't really know which meal I should choose to mention. How about a little choose-your-own-adventure recipe (after all, the books were the epitome of dorkness, especially if you read them using a deck of cards as bookmarks so you could skip back to the previous fork every time you hit an ending... or was I the only one who did that? :biggrin:). Anyway, the "recipe":
ClayJar's Fundamentals of Cooking:
(Unnamed Starchy Side Dish or Casserole Framework)

Ingredients:
  • Substantive starch:
    • 1 cup rice (Basmati is excellent), or
    • 1 breakfast bowl penne pasta, or
    • 1 1/3 cups instant potatoes
  • Base / binder:
    • 1 can chili (not bean stew, people!), or
    • Soup based:
      • 1 can condensed soup (cream of something, or something cheese)
      • 4-ish? tbsp cornstarch (enough to thicken), except when using instant potatoes
    • Optionally: Cheese:
      • 3 or 4 slices American cheese
      • up to 1 cup shredded cheese
      • grated Parmesan or equivalent, to taste
  • Additions: Any zero or more of the following:
    • 10 ounces (by weight) vegetables (steamed or equivalent)
    • 1/4 cup (or more) crumbled bacon

Instructions:
If using rice or pasta, prepare as usual. (Potato flakes are used as-is.) Meanwhile, prepare base/binder according to container's instructions. If using soup for rice or pasta dishes, once it is servable as soup add a few tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken it into a more sauce-like consistency (but don't burn the bottom!). Now add any optional cheeses and stir in to melt (if it's a melty cheese, that is). If vegetables are desired, prepare them by steaming or microwaving them until just about done.

For rice or pasta dishes, now pour the chili- or soup-based portion of the recipe over the rice or pasta and fold to combine. For potato dishes, fold the flakes into the soup mixture. (Note: Potato dishes with chili bases are an acquired taste, but they can be attempted if proper caution is used... and alternate meal arrangements are available.)

Now, fold in any vegetables, bacon, or other accents as may have been chosen. If patient, allow the dish to set for a few minutes, but otherwise, dig in.
Most of the spice additions should be added to the chili or soup mixture, but for rice dishes, adding some of the spices to the rice during cooking can be quite nice. For soup-based rice dishes, a really nice touch is to fold in several tablespoons of honey to provide a sweet complement to a bright cracked Telicherry peppercorn accent.

Anyway, this is just the concept. In practice, the recipe can be done in an astonishing number of ways. I've even had praise for mixed-starch presentations (such as one that had a rolled broccoli-cheese-soup-based potato center surrounded by a lightly seasoned Basmati rice brushed with extra-virgin olive oil and encrusted with slightly browned cheeses, garnished with fresh sprigs of curly parsley).

Of course, you're going to need a light beverage to go with that. Depending on what meal and main dish you're serving, you could go with something as simple as concord grape juice with frozen 100% cranberry juice ice cubes (absolutely delicious as it becomes more tart instead of watered down as the ice cubes melt, perfectly complementing a well-played meal). For something more fitting for Tuesday TV night watching House, try something like:
ClayJar's Fundamentals of Beveragery:
ClayJar's Special "Smoothie"

Ingredients:
  • 1 can pineapple chunks in juice
  • 1 can peach slices in extra light syrup
  • 1 lb ice cubes

In a capable blender, blend pineapple chunks and peach slices (and their associated liquids) until completely smooth. Add ice by the handful, continuing to blend with extreme power until again smooth. Pour and enjoy. (Note: My blender is 1 hp and has blades that do not even closely resemble cheap butter knives in thinness. If your blender came from Walmart, perhaps you can try making this in much smaller batches. :biggrin:)
Well, anyway, that's a decent start, eh?

I like to throw some lamb chops on the BBQ. Best way to eat them, most of the fat drips right off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom