What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Unnecessary?"

I'd call them a diving impediment.

A reef rod, or a simple stainless steel or aluminum rod can be handy for use when steadying a camera in a narrow set of circumstances but otherwise, just another gimmick scuba accessory that has little to no value to the regular recreational diver.

If you must have one, any hardware store that sells aluminum or stainless steel will have them. Cut to length and attach a wrist strap, use until you realize you don’t really need it anymore, then throw it on the ever growing pile of things you bought that you never really needed for diving.

Much obliged for putting a name to them, Bob.
As with almost anything (guns, cars, credit cards, etc...), I'm guessing how they are used determines what people think of them. To someone who is professional and careful, it sounds as if they could be useful. However, I can see some people doing real harm with something like this (prying coral, poking the wildlife, drilling holes, stirring up silt, etc...).

I'd suggest that divers (even photographers) master their trim and buoyancy and leave sticks and rods and poles behind.

I'd suggest that divers (even photographers) master their trim and buoyancy and leave sticks and rods and poles behind.

I dunno, Phil ... I'd say my trim and buoyancy are pretty darn good ... and there were still times I would've used one if I had it. Tough to get that shot of a pygmy seahorse when you're kicking against a knot or so of current trying to hold still ... as with most things, it's not the tool so much as when and how you use it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, you're the exception that proves the rule.

There is a rare circumstance that it makes sense, but viewed as a whole, I'd rather miss that one shot and not have bunches of divers flailing about.

I dunno, Phil ... I'd say my trim and buoyancy are pretty darn good ... and there were still times I would've used one if I had it. Tough to get that shot of a pygmy seahorse when you're kicking against a knot or so of current trying to hold still ... as with most things, it's not the tool so much as when and how you use it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

in a bit of current - the stick sure helped differentiate a 1 mm X 4 mm algea-like lemebh dragon from the rest of the hanging algea

ohh that one is high tech - maybe I'm thinking of the hardware store aluminum cheapo version - it looks kinda like a heavy-duty sishcabob skewer or a long cheap tent stake.

they are also good for pointing out tiny micro camo critters

That's what I thought in the 1st 2nd an 3rd place.:rofl3:

Why would you ever need such a pokie thingie.:confused:
If one just gets their divingskills right one would not need such a stick.
IMO they're just the same as reefhooks.:shakehead:
If you need one,you lack some.:wink:
On the "high speed"drift dive you'll just distroy some corals.

Reef Swekers aka Coral Kebobs

Very handy little things. Everyone should have one. Good idea.

not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom