What do you call the 1 ft metal pokers divers carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a plastic tent stake.. I got the longest one from one of the sports places. It's a foot, maybe slightly longer. I wrapped the handle with duct tape, attached cave line and a snap. If I lose it I'm not out much. I think it cost about a buck plus the snap.

... let's see, where did I put my 'BHK' ("Big Honkin' Knife" tm) from the 70's??? THAT would make a great anchor... ;-)

If you get a nice shinny silver one, they do a fine job of attracting barracuda - real close.

I have seen a couple of divemasters (aka tour guides) use them to point out the sea life. On the last trip, half of our boat could find the item if someone gave a hand signal and the general area. The other half of the boat needed the divemaster to point at the critter with the reef rod.

To the divemaster's credit, I don't recall him ever touching anything with the reef rod, and it was a better pointing device than just a finger. If I had to play tour guide, I'd consider using something like that.

Why would you ever need such a pokie thingie.:confused:

All the DM's in SE Asia I have seen -- carry one. Can think of a couple times I had pokie thingie envy :eyebrow::

In a pretty fast currents along the steep wall at Bunakan trying to see a little camo frog fish back in a hole in the wall. It was really hard to maintain position.

Trying to spot pigmy seahorses during pretty fast currents

In a pretty fast current under a huge spiral school of bara - divers clinging to rocks on the bottom to enjoy - wouldn't the poky thing on a piece of rock to stabilize have less impact than a hand? And perhaps be better in a place filled with scorpion fish? Maybe not?

Trying to point out tiny camo micro stuff at Lembeh to friends

Picking up some trash at Lembeh - many plastic bags & many dangerous critters underneath.

watching very "advanced" divers take professional pictures at Lembeh by laying on the mud and almost squashing sea life

If one just gets their diving skills right one would not need such a stick.

Sure I have lots to learn. Maybe you're right????? After 1,000's of dives do you have perfect buoyancy while trying to hover along a wall with a pretty strong side current? If given the chance to pause in a beautiful environment with a reasonable current - do you fight the current or find a rock or something with no life to help conserve energy and air?
Would a smaller diameter poky thing have less impact than a hand?

On the "high speed" drift dive you'll just destroy some corals.

Don't see a use for high speed drift diving - except when the DM's annoyingly bangs away pointing out stuff.

Last edited:
Perhaps the OP was referring to another very useful metal rod....

...the tickle stick.

I prefer a snare, but the tickle stick has its place.

:D

Finally!

A cool, nifty, piece of Dive equipment that I absolutely have NO need for!

I am not a photographer (I have already tried it and it is just not for me!)

I am sure there are a few people that have a valid need for one of these but I would think these rare few individuals could improvise their own versus a real market for the high speed, sexy version shown for sale a few posts back!

Of course with my business saavy saying "no way", he may make a fortune!

Personally, I call those little metal pokers irritating. I was on a live aboard with a gent who was constantly tapping on his cylinder when he would find an interesting sight. I felt like I was back in elementary school, when the teacher would tap their pointers to get the student's attention. The whole time I'm diving I would hear tink, tink, tink.

Perhaps the OP was referring to another very useful metal rod....

...the tickle stick.

Exactly! - A short tickle stick with no bend.

If given the chance to pause in a beautiful environment with a reasonable current - do you fight the current or find a rock or something to help conserve energy and air?
1st it was all in good fun.:lotsalove:
2nd if need be,I do find a Dead rock hoping it's not a stonefish :D and hold on.
As for the currents,if they are that strongI call that (high speed) drift diving.:wink:
As for my number of dives,I recently made # 4000,I tend to think I can still learn a lot.
Good ? maybe-perfect? I tend to think ...........I still can learn.:)

Would a smaller diameter poky thing have less impact than a hand?

I have seen these "things"being used by local DM's and each and every time they poked that thing in the coral,they broke off some parts of it.
Maybe if someone knew HOW to use it,it would be less distructive.

Back
Top Bottom