What do you consider "Cold Water" when wetsuit diving?

what do you consider "Cold Water" when wetsuit diving?

• The water has to be simmering i.e. Hot Tub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90F - 100F (32C-38C)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80F - 89F (27C-31C)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 70F - 79F (21C-26C)

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • 60F - 69F (15C-20C)

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Friggin 59F(14C) or below...basically if my reg isn't frozen it isn't cold!!!

Votes: 84 65.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is too cold for this Florida boy.

If I moved North (like North of Georgia) I'd definately have to buy a dry suit.

Anything below 55 degrees is juuust a bit nippy, definitely on the second dive. The local pond is 72 on the surface with the big thermocline @ 55' and 58 degrees. During the half and safety stops it feels like bath water. :D

Usually we do this in a 5mil full with a 3mil short over that. :mean:

92 ft quarry dive at 41 degrees in a 7 mil wetsuit. No prob bob!I'm happy to be underwater. PS no ice crystals so I guess I could go a few dergrees colder?!

...but I almost never get cold. I've been in 49 degree water in a one piece 7 mil, and didn't have any problems.

(I can also sit in a theater in the summertime wearing shorts and a t-shirt.):cold:

I ice dive in my 7MM wetsuit. I'm good for about an hour in 35 degree water if I don't go to deep. Wreck diving in Lake Michigan its not uncommon to encounter bottom temps in the high thirties in june. Last year on the wreck of the Niagara I was down 50ft for about 45 minutes with a bottom temp of 38.
It helps if your part Viking and grew up with this stuff like I did. It was pretty funny diving off Myrtle Beach South Carolina this April and listening to the locals complain about the fridgid waters. We had a bottom temp of 62 that day. Heck I hardly need a wet suit for that.
If you don't need to cut it with a saw, Its warm enough for me.

Jim

Nah, I will still have to go with Chris on these two...
chrpai once bubbled...
1) I don't have the money
2) I'm not looking forward to relearning buoyancy
I'll wait until I can get a good one that fits right. I also want to make sure my buoyancy is rock solid before I get into dealing with 'the bubble' and the extra buttons.

I still have the Newbie excited thing going on though so I'll dive any temp in a 7mil. Lowest so far was 39*

Anything below 80 F is cold. I dive with a wet suit for any temp below 85 F.

I'm a wimp too.

I dive my DUI year 'round locally. And when I go tropical you'll find me in a 5mm with a cap hood. Last year in July in the Keys found me in a 5mm GoldCore jumpsuit with a cap hood and light gloves. I did get a little shiver now and then especially on the night dive. I'm going to Cayman Brac next month and will be taking my 5mm again as well as the cap hood, but will also be packing my 3mm hooded vest for the later dives when the chill starts setting in.

In Akumal cave diving I do a 7mm ColdCore jumpsuit and cap hood....last trip found me cold again....my hooded 3mm vest will be going this time around.

I dived in the Bahamas in February in a 7mm semi-dry and was perfectly comfy. 75 degree water. I also dived in South Carolina where the surface was close to 80 in the same 7mm. I've never been too hot in the water.

Soggy once bubbled...
I dived in the Bahamas in February in a 7mm semi-dry and was perfectly comfy. 75 degree water. I also dived in South Carolina where the surface was close to 80 in the same 7mm. I've never been too hot in the water.

But I bet you've been "Soggy":D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom