What do you enjoy most about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings MissChelleyDives and welcome to SB! Awesome question which there are many different themes represented. Again TSandM has hit the mark so well and eloquent as always.
Diving pretty much revolutionized my life. It brought me out of a really dismal acceptance of status quo. The ZEN comments are understood by me very well!
I have had the opportunity to experience so much more from life, when your sense of adventure and wonder awakens it is like being a kid again! It blows me away every time!
The amazing relationships I have developed with my closest dive buddies my wife and kids have been totally awesome. It has added a new dynamic to our family.
My friends that I have met diving continue to grow and prove that blood is thicker than water! Just a shameless pun, sorry!
No joke though, my dive buds and I share experiences in challenging environments and train hard to be able to do so. Zero vis is not a problem with these guys! I would storm the gates of hell for them as they for me! That bond of brotherhood is shared by few!
Chelly I wish I could narrow it to one but there is just so little time, I am going to close with a quote;
"From birth a man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free." Jacques Cousteau
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

And, What do you enjoy most about scuba diving?

Believe it or not its the fulling my drysuit full of air when getting back on the boat after a dive. I can't begin to describe how nice that feels!

Diving is a breathtaking activity that the whole family can enjoy together - what can you do with your great grandchildren that they won't consider lame ?

I like tonnes of things about diving, can't really narrow it down much.

-the fact that it is so different to land, the landscape and critters are just so different to anything I have experienced on land
-the huge variation in marine life and the fact that there is always something new to see
-watching cephalopods move and change colours
-seeing shipwrecks underwater
-drifting along in a current and not having to move at all
-weightless feeling
-taking pictures so I can relive my dives after
-improving my diving skills, takes a while but I like the challenge
-diving alone, feels so awesome to be on my own in the ocean, it's quieter and I don't have to worry about anyone but myself, it feels like it is just me in the world, very relaxing
-the people I have met through diving, in particular my small group of regular buddies

Being a Midwestern land-lubber, it's the getting out of the Ohio weather (either too hot or too cold) once a month for four days. It's the boat rides to the reef or wreck. It's the putting your life on the line by depending on your equipment. It's the life species swimming around, like the sharks, turtles, eels, rays, etc. It's the friendly recognition of the dive operator, captain and boat workers. I even enjoy the commercial flight and hauling ass down Florida's Turnpike in a rented car for a couple hours to and from the Keys each month. It's the knowing that I am doing something that most people couldn't even think about doing. I like it all.

A dream come true

I am thankful no one has invented an underwater ghetto blaster ... unfortunately I think it will happen :shakehead:

Dive boats that play music underwater while we are diving (or even underwater while on our surface intervals) annoy the heck out of me. Fortunately they are few in my experience.

It's the only activity I know of, where it's socially acceptable to piss yourself in the company of others.

That and the silence, solitude, peacefullness, and beauty of it all. It's the best escape from the "real world" I've ever come across.

1) Seeing things that others have never and most times will never see
2) Watching the Discovery Channel and saying "YEAH! I've been there, seen that DONE that and it look so much COOLER in person!"
3) Being weightless and that Zen feeling
4) Going to beautiful places that you normally wouldn't go (ie. Bequia...I mean, no one goes to Bequia because it's not a "vacation destination" like say Cabo or Hawaii!)
5) Other divers...granted, you've got some "know-it-all I've done more dives than you look at me my equipment is better than yours" asses but for the most part divers are layed back and fun people
6) Doing something challenging and always pushing myself to a higher standard
7) My dive buddy...not only is he the love of my life, he's there to save my butt and I his if in trouble and it gives us something that we can do together
8) Not having to go to the aquarium or Sea World to see fish, dolphins, sharks, whales and other marine life
9) Knowing that someday I'll have my instructors certification and will be able to teach and share my passion of diving with others
10) Sea Turtles...hands down. :coffee:

I have yet to convert anyone to diving...although my co-worker wants to get certified but her hubby is a tight arse and she's afraid of fish.:popcorn:

When I dive, I am overcome with awe and gratitude that I am lucky enough to be able to see all the wonder that the ocean has to offer. It solidifies my believe in a "higher power", (whatever that means for each person), and the spectacular diversity of life on this planet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom