What do you expect from other Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as an experienced diver....what i expect is respect. Both given by me and accorded to me. I hate diving with someone who needs to tell me/explain to me or show me how so very experienced they are. But with mutual respect, i can....and often do learn new things. I also am quite pleased when sharing some of my knowledge helps someone else.

Yes....i do expect another diver to have some good basis of skill. And i can choose to dive with a beginner diver or an experienced diver. I just do not choose to dive with an unsafe diver.

I expect other divers to do whatever the worst possible thing is, and at the worst possible time. That having been said, I really appreciate other divers to stay off the bottom, and to not make a bad decision that might put me in danger. If I have agreed to enter the water as a person's buddy, I appreciate when that diver monitors their air supply (turning the dive at the appropriate turn pressure), and avoids taking off and leaving me behind due to pure inattention. Although I appreciate when others do all these things, and make good choices during the dive, I typically enter the water expecting them to not do so, and do my best to have a plan to protect myself, and help them out if able.

I learned and dive in a club atmosphere, i.e. we dive with people who are just learning, and incredibly experienced and advanced divers dived these same 20' quarries with us when we were beginners. What comes around goes around, we're all here to have fun and new divers are the absolute life blood of the club. It's an attitude adjustment. I'm not criticizing the rest of you because you don't have the same needs as a club atmosphere and we aren't paying good money to go diving.
So meanwhile, back at the ranch... we have a lot of fun, and people learn.
Let the newbies have some fun, pick a few items to work on with them, and let them progress at a speed that lets them have some success on a regular basis. Everybody needs time in the water in order to get their skills down pat.
I will say however that I do really appreciate a new diver who will stay where I can see them. Preferably not where I can't move w/o kicking them. I know it's really easy to keep my pace and to see me if you stay behind me, but esp. if you've got some bouyancy control issues I really hate having to stop, look, turn around and finally search up and down the water column for you. Then once I find you and realize you're OK & still with me I get to do it again in another 30 seconds. PLEASE stay where we can see each other!
Trying to keep an eye on someone who thinks they're in some [sensored] olympic swim race is also really fun.
I will always keep an eye on my buddy and make sure we stay together. If I lose that buddy, I will seek him out, going to the surface if necessary. I will monitor my own air supply, ask at least once after my buddies's air supply, and let my buddy know at least once how my air supply is holding out. These are all things I really want a new diver to also learn to do. (Communication is good; just ask any marriage counselor ;-)
I also appreciate a buddy who generally stays where I left him: on my right or on my left. Not the-good-lord-only-knows-where-this-time.

I don't disagree with any of these posts, but I think I would put it in an abbreviated way yet meaning the same thing. I expect divers on dive boats to act like divers. Almost without fail there are people on the boat that know it all, but don't really, or that have stories that don't match their gear handling ability, and in honesty expect I was there at some point in the distant past. I think that current training in general is lacking when it comes to turning out certified divers, what I see is people that know just enough to not kill them selves if things go as planned.

Some will keep at it long enough to actually become good divers... give me a boat load of them.

I don't think I saw it listed, well I suppose it fits into the ''stay close enough for visibility", but how about staying, or matching your buddy's swim pace.
I don't know if split fins are quicker or not in OW, but it sure seems like it :catfight:

I don't know.

I think people who try and set their own standards for other people in a non-competitive sports probably have low self esteem issues. It just reminds me way too much of stuff that I see on my son's playground.

Thanks for all the input. I particularly liked what sheeper had to say. For diversaurus, I offer the following brief excerpt from "The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette." We really are on the same page.
From Chapter 10, "Dive talking."

Another important rule of dive conversation etiquette is to know when to give advice. The only proper time to give advice is when you are asked for it, and then only if you are competent to provide the information requested. ... Do not give unsolicited advice to other divers on the dive boat. Ever. Not even if you are a bona fide Scuba Snob. The only exception is that if you are a currently licensed and insured dive professional and see someone doing something dangerous to themselves or others. Then take the initiative. Please.
-------------
Happy diving everyone!
DivemasterDennis

Is that the currently licenced and insured dive professional that teaches to a sub par standardised formula that is of no particular standard or the one that wants to sell books or just the guy that dives with a professional attitude to a high standard

Dennis it's not you, it's them. Some divers have the same caviler attitude as they do towards driving and texting, or their job, or their relationships, etc. Most people aren't even aware of their behavior, let alone have the ability to introspect about it. Most people know more about reality TV shows than they do about reality. Sorry if I sound like a cynic, but I amazed how many sheepole just live life on the surface without any depth.(pun intended). As long as you deal with the general public, you will encounter the full spectrum. Remember, enlightenment isn't for everybody.

:confined: Get out of the jar!

What I don't expect, but have encountered: Diving beyond their capabilities. Diving while oblivious to the possible dangers of their own behaviors. Taking souvineers from the reef. Smoking on the dive boat. Lying about their ending air because they didnt want to miss the next dive. I am sure your list is way beyond mine. You should take notes and let others learn from their mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom