What do you log ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
Hi all

I have filled my log book, which can only be a good thing, so now I need to get more pages. I haven't seen any source of these (they are A6 size) so I was thinking about making up some of my own.

So the question is what do you log for dives ? I have seen pages ranging from just depth and time to details of mixes, deco etc etc.

So please give me suggestions for what type of info is worth logging both for my own benefit and the benefit of those reviewing my log. Also any pointers to templates/icons etc would be useful.

Thanks all

Conor

Date
Dive location
Specific dive site
Total dives to date
Todays dive #
Trip dive #

Time In/Time Out
Beginning/Ending PSI
Max. Depth/Avg. Depth
Water/Air temps
Visibility
Weights used
Tank..steel/alum/size
Protection used...wetsuit, skin, swimsuit, etc. be specific for future reference
SAC rate....by vol./time
Dive type....shore/boat/wreck/night/training/DM, etc.

Notes...I make lots of notes and drawing of dive sites. For training or DM dives, I include names of all students, instructors cert. # and explicit notes on the class. You never know when you'll have to defend yourself/testify in court.

Sounds like alot but it's all on 5.5 x 8.5 half sheets. I made a master and take it to Kinko's once a year to have copies made, cut in half and holes punched for 3-ring binder.

To make it easier...here's a link to a picture of the pages....

acd.sized.jpg

I also write down interesting things that I've seen. Particular fish, sharks, type of coral.
I also log if there was any currents, waves or thermals.
If I see a wreck or scope one out I write what kind it was, condition of it, good description of it, type of boat, name of boat etc.
I'll log any problems that I had and how my buddy was. If I went with an operation, I'll write down how good they were and all that happy crap so I can look back and see if I want to use them again.

...for the replies

I had been trying to prepae a table type log like my current one, which has 5 dives on one A6 sheet, but as soon as I started listing all the info I would like to record I realised that it would become non-sensical as a table.

I think I may use Dee's as a template and try and make something up myself along similar lines.

You actually hit on something I hadn't considered, I am actually a weird person who likes navigation, on my most recent dives I have been having the guide sketch a map on a slate so that I can practice navigation during the dive. So I may put a map grid on the other side or prepare some mapping pages for later reference.

Thanks for the tips

Conor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom