What do you think of AIR2 type second stages

Do you like power inflators with an integrated regulator?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little conflicted.

When modern I usually dive a longhose & Bungeed B/U (which I like fine). But when I sling a pony I wind up with three regs. Sometimes I take the short hose off. I would like to try an AIR 2 so I could just leave the shorthose off the backgas. I'd take my chances shallow and deeper I'd have my pony to switch to.

But I'm too cheap to shell out for one and I have too many reg sets as it is so I keep waiting for xmas...

I learned to dive with an early Air2 and didn't like it, initially because it didn't breath all that well (I assume they have gotten better) and also found it otherwise uncomfortable to use. Decided I wanted separate alternate and inflator instead of one thing that does neither job as well, especially at the same time. Plus they're a pain if you have problems with your reg and need to borrow/rent, because of the different connection.

I am a little confused by the idea of AIR2. If it hooks up to your primary 1st stage, how does it help you if there is a first stage failure? Or is it just meant as a substitute for an octopus, and not for a pony?

i have used one on and off for years.
they are of no real benefit for recreational diving.
they used to come as standard kit on some uk bcd/wings-especially those with a separate emergency inflate bottle as you could breathe from the emergency bottle independently of the main cylinder.
also they are quite usefull if diving indy twins as you have at least I tank with 2 regs.
seen them a bit on older inspro rb's as a bailout device.

as it never got in the way,failed or was a pain I used to leave it hooked up even with a secondary reg around the neck.

I am a little confused by the idea of AIR2. If it hooks up to your primary 1st stage, how does it help you if there is a first stage failure? Or is it just meant as a substitute for an octopus, and not for a pony?

It's not a substitute for an octo. It IS your octo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The Air2 (or in-line octo) does not provide any redundancy against a first stage failure. Neither does a standard octo. In recreational diving, your plan for coping with a massive first stage failure is air-sharing with your buddy, or a CESA. In situations where you are worried about first stage failure and do not have or trust your buddy, you would need a fully redundant backup, like a pony bottle.

However, massive first stage failures are rare, compared with second stage malfunctions - lost or bitten-through mouthpieces, stuck purge buttons, etc. -- so the setup is redundancy for the second stage (which also gives you the ability to share gas with another diver without having to share one second stage). Whether your redundant second stage is on your inflator hose or not is the topic at hand.

In situations where you are worried about first stage failure and do not have or trust your buddy, you would need a fully redundant backup, like a pony bottle. .

Or an H or Y valve.

I use an Air2......I hate the damn thing, and still carry an Octo. The only reason that I even wear an Air2 is because my dive shop gave it to me.....sparks interest from the students. Always the dollar right?

Personally, being the old geezer that I am, I prefer the SP Air-2 because of the large buttons. I don't use it as a backup second stage. One drawback... unless you have the inflator hose secured, that heavy Air-2 can swing around and bop you in the face. I've drawn blood several times with mine.

I chose not to vote on the poll since I don't think that a choice like this should be based on popularity. I played with an Air-2 and felt that a pull-dump was necessary to be able to use it as a backup or for air sharing. Although I am a small guy, my hands are large and I didn't like the excessive size.

Considering that it is very rare that an octo ever gets used (or touched), I didn't see any point in dealing with that big honker every time I adjusted buoyancy. I also don't think the minor convenience of a pull-dump is worth the reduced reliability it introduces.

Back
Top Bottom