What do you thnk of pull dumps?

To use the inflator hose pull dump or not?

• I use it all the time

Votes: 46 47.4%
  • I only use it in an emergency

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • Are you kidding? Pull dumps are dangerous!!!

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • What's a pull dump?

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right on the Halcyon bottom pull dumps. I went back to the LDS today and checked them out.
I must have been asleep a couple of weeks ago when I first looked at them. I think I am going with the Halcyon.

A friend of mine recently told me he does not use the pull dump on his BCD for fear the wear and tear will damage it. I use the pull dump for my descents all the time. Do you use the pull dump on the inflator hose consistently or not? Why or why not?

MakoSince70 once bubbled...
Uncle Pug and Pez, a post that has my attention.

Halcyon Wing or Zeagle Ranger??

I have used a Sea Quest jacket for years but have decided it is time for a wing. I like the Halcyon with backplate but the units in my LDS don't have pull dumps or dumps at the lower part of the wing. I use these features occasionally and don't want to give them up.

I have been looking at the Ranger which has these features. Sounds like Pug is at least an ex-Ranger fan. Seems that if the dump features are well maintained on a quality BC, they are not going to fail.

Opinions on which way to go, Halcyon or Ranger.

I dive wet, mostly tropical and an AL 80. I want a BC capable of handling doubles.

Thanks

Tough call, if I had to choose just one, I would go with a BP/Wing that would support single tank dives yet would still provide sufficient lift for diving twin steels and a deco bottle. The Ranger can do both but some would say the lift is borderline. I am happy with my Ranger, but I also have a Diverite Classic wing and SS BP that is used just with the twins. Best of both worlds.

The Tech does have 65 lbs of lift, hmmm..

never heard of anyone having problems with them or being a cause of failure - anyone got any stats on that?

Well to clarify I normally only use it for the descent as I use my dry suit for buoyancy. I know that is a hot topic but by my figuring if you are properly weighted you don't need to add much more air than to take out the suit squeeze. Also my inflator hose is bungeed across my chest (under the arm) with my SPG so I know where it all is - again I know a hot topic but that is what works for me and I then just pull on the hose and down I go. No flapping hoses - not even a short one.

Jonathan

I prefer to pull to dump as well. I had been told once that it was hard on the inflator hose so I called SeaQuest (I have a pro qd... with integrated air source) and asked them if it hurt the hose in any way.

They said to feel free to pull away and dump by that means all I want. I have also seen a mention on a thread that it caused a crack in the rubber. I plan to keep pulling and also keep an eye on the hose every time I use it.

My BCD (Scubapro RecTek) has got one, but I don't even know if it works or not...I've never used it before.

I just don't see a need to do so at all...it's really second nature to just dump using the deflator.

sundog once bubbled...
A friend of mine recently told me he does not use the pull dump on his BCD for fear the wear and tear will damage it. I use the pull dump for my descents all the time. Do you use the pull dump on the inflator hose consistently or not? Why or why not?

I use the pull dumps on students bcd's to stop uncontrolled ascents and haven't had any problems with them. However, I once pulled my own inflator clean off my bcd with the pull dump. (case of a broken tie-wrap). After that I stopped using it.

R..

Kind hard to orally inflate on that one then, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom