What do you wear when the water is in the mid to upper 70's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is made of lycra arms, and a 1mm half/half neoprene/merino"innings"... Don't really know what to call it... But I LOVE it!

A lightweight warm water wetsuit with lycra arms.

I have a 3/2 and I bought a 7mm Bare Elastek hooded vest that I plan to put over my wetsuit because I think it's going to be a bit too large to fit underneath. I tried it on over my 3/2 just around the house and 7mm is pretty damn constricting, but I'll take constricting over freezing.

I haven't dove with the hooded vest yet, but I was pretty cold last time I dove around 77F with just the 3/2.

that temperature is tricky for me. it wouldn't have to be much colder for me to put a drysuit on, but have been relatively happy at that temperature in a 5/7 mm semi-dry with a neoprene vest and hood, even for liveaboard diving.

exposure protection is a personal thing, it's hard to generalise.

A lightweight warm water wetsuit with lycra arms.

But... it is not a wet _suit_ it is just a top. TO me... any suit that is not a drysuit... (And even some of those :wink:) Are wet suits. A skin is a wetsuit, a rashguard is a wetsuit. A thin neo can just as well be a rashguard... There is not much isolation in this "sweater", so I'll continue to call it a rashguard. :)

I have rashguards and one chillguard. Chillguard decidedly not a skin suit and also not strictly a rashguard. Just top also. :)

But... it is not a wet _suit_ it is just a top. TO me... any suit that is not a drysuit... (And even some of those :wink:) Are wet suits. A skin is a wetsuit, a rashguard is a wetsuit. A thin neo can just as well be a rashguard... There is not much isolation in this "sweater", so I'll continue to call it a rashguard. :)

And I'll continue to call it a shortie or jacket-only wetsuit with lycra rash guard arms. A wetsuit, traditionally speaking, uses the thin film of water warmed by body heat moving very slowly or trapped within the neoprene wetsuit, and the cells within the neoprene, as thermal insulation. Skins provide no thermal insulation because they, unlike wetsuits, are completely and instantly water permeable and extremely thin, like nylon stockings or tights.

Of course, wetsuits and drysuits and deep sea diver hardhat gear are also rash guards in the broadest sense, because they perform that function. So do submarines. Lycra skins are much more portable and practical, guarding against sun, jellyfish and the like just as they were designed to do. They fit like a second skin, almost undetectable by the wearer, hence the name.

Drysuit.

Above 72 degrees under an hour 3 mill, over an hour 5 mill over two hours Drysuit. 65-72 it's a 5 mill to an hour 7 mill or Semidry to 2 hours dry after that. Under 65 is usually Semidry up to 45 min and dry above that or below 60.

---------- Post added December 11th, 2014 at 09:03 PM ----------

But I dive in the Northeast.... Cold is relative.

I have a 3/2 and I bought a 7mm Bare Elastek hooded vest that I plan to put over my wetsuit because I think it's going to be a bit too large to fit underneath. I tried it on over my 3/2 just around the house and 7mm is pretty damn constricting, but I'll take constricting over freezing.

I haven't dove with the hooded vest yet, but I was pretty cold last time I dove around 77F with just the 3/2.

For WPB you can probably get by with a full 3 mm suit and a hooded vest. I prefer a full 5 mm suit and 3 mm hooded vest if the air is cool, or a separate 3 mm hood if it is warm. If the weather gets really cold, a great combination is a 5 mm full suit, 3 mm hooded vest and then wear the other 2-3 mm hood over that. With 5-6 mm on your head and a good seal around your neck, you can be pretty comfortable in low 70's water and without a lot of constriction. The water in WPB can drop to around 66 in the winter... summertime temps can be much, much colder.. low 50's.

It is absolutely essential to have a good knitted ski cap for the surface interval and a long, wind proof coat as well.

From 75-50°, I dive a 5mm. Below 65°, I break out the gloves and hood. Below 50°, I use a 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom