What does a "Pit Diver" do in hydroplane racing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Guy I work for sometimes asked me if I would be interested in being a Pit Diver for an upcoming hydroplane race. I'm waiting for more information, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this sort of diving and what's involved in it.

I spoke to someone who did the same work. He uses his own gear and helps drivers who flip over. The drivers do have a redundant air source fitted to their boat to last several minutes.

I had a gig quite a few years ago, driving the rescue boat for drag racing here in Oz, @Bob DBF link summarised what happened pretty well. The differences were that the rescue boat also had a firefighting capability and carried a paramedic. The drag boat races were like car drag races in that it was two boats per race over a straight line course. We carried two divers, one knitted up ready to go and and a standby diver. In the time I was driving the only incident was a water skier who was putting on a show during a break who collided with the start boat and badly broke his leg.

The divers had seen some rally nasty accidents over the years. With some horrific injuries.

Thanks, sounds like an interesting job!

If your profile is correct, you are new to diving, and have a dive count of 0-24. I'd somewhat think it unwise to be acting in a capacity of a rescue diver with your experience.

I heard back from the guy I would be working for on this and this is the job description I was given:

Pit Diver – a land base diver to recover all items that may be lost by race teams in the pit area. Also, if there is a boat incident this person will be there to hook up the boat so that the rescue team can return to the racecourse.

I'm posting it here as much for future reference so if anyone else has the same questions...

Hopefully you'll get some training on how to help the crew escape if trapped.

Hopefully you'll get some training on how to help the crew escape if trapped.
There is a separate group that is training for the actual rescue function and while I may end up being their "victim" for some of that training, I will not be involved in that function.

Pit Diver – a land base diver to recover all items that may be lost by race teams in the pit area. Also, if there is a boat incident this person will be there to hook up the boat so that the rescue team can return to the racecourse....

Thee is a separate group that is training for the actual rescue function and while i may end up being their "victim" for some of that training, I will not be involved in that function.
Sounds like the whole thing should be a great experience. Just remember that you can and should say, "No" if you are asked to do things you feel are unsafe or beyond your current abilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom