What does one do with new equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got new as a new diver last winter. Figured as an inexperienced diver, a no additional stress environment to check and familiarize myself was a must do and went right to a pool.
And now if I got something major new I’d do the same, especially before traveling. I’d hate to discover a defect that late and a main reason I got my own gear was to be familiar with how it worked.

I would definatly want to learn and set up my new gear before i made a long trip to dive it on a vacation.

Well, it looks like I'm headed down to the LDS to get the stuff checked out. Considering that most of the stuff was bought online, I'm (not) looking forward to a fun afternoon, mostly spent on my knees pleading/apologizing :)

Thanx for the advice!!

dieswaytoofast:
Well, it looks like I'm headed down to the LDS to get the stuff checked out. Considering that most of the stuff was bought online, I'm (not) looking forward to a fun afternoon, mostly spent on my knees pleading/apologizing :)

Thanx for the advice!!

Be prepared, mentally and financially. Depending on the character of your LDS (some have very little) you could be asked to leave and never darken their door again, or charges $100+ for the inspection/assembly service and a little pool time. It's usually not at all like the local garage.

If it's new, it shouldn't really need checking by the LDS which I don't think gains you much, but rather a tryout in the water. It doesn't hurt to pay them to check it and they might catch something if you bought it someplace that didn't do their job. But this still doesn't replace trying the stuff - this is a good idea even when they service gear. If they have a pool or access maybe they'll let you use it for a fee, or maybe they'll be nice and just let you use it, especially if you do some business with them or they're just the nice type and want future bisiness from you.

If it's used, you definitely want to have it checked and possibly serviced. I don't think a shop is as likely to have an objection to used gear you bought on ebay vs showing up with new gear you bought online. You will simply be paying to get existing gear serviced like anyone else. (I don't generally advocate lying, but if you think they will be cranky about it you can always tell them it was a gift, or a friend gave you their old gear, or whatever. Though if they're too cranky it may not be a place you want to do business.)

Def pool dive....

But what did you mean..."come in tomorrow" ?

If you bought this gear over the internet you MAY have problems with the LDS. Some just dont get it yet and act hostile to internet buyers. Some do get it and take every piece of business they can get to win over a customer.

But def try out your gear and get as familiar with it as you can.

Take it to your shop and get it checked out. Have them throw the guages on it. Never know how long something has been sitting on a shelf. Then go dive it.

As far as internet purchases go the shop I work for will still check it out for you and allow you to use the pool. It just isn't free any longer :)

Personally I think in the Windy City he might get a stern lecture, from my limited experiences in that city it's not been that friendly to me and GA.

What I would do is find a local pool such as the YMCA or some swim school and ask them if you can use the pool. I've found that to work well when I wanted to check weighting and didn't want to wait until I got to where I was going.

If I was very new to scuba and didn't understand the gear I'd try the LDS because it is your life you hold in your hands if you screw something up and don't realize it.

dieswaytoofast:
Well, took the plunge (heh), and actually went out and splurged on my own equipment - mainly regs and bcd. I'm not going diving for another month, but the stuff shows up tomorrow. What should I do with it?
a) Take it down to the LDS and have 'em look it over? (kind of like when one buys a used car, and takes it down to the local garage)
b) Just wait till I get down to Playa del Carmen, and do the same with the dive operator there?
c) Some third option involving me?

I know, kind of a dumb question, but I truly have no idea....

Cheers

Unless you asked the LDS for a "bid" then went with the least expensive (dollar wise anyway) don't be surprised if the LDS is a bit upset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom