What does one do with new equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
Be prepared, mentally and financially. Depending on the character of your LDS (some have very little) you could be asked to leave and never darken their door again, or charges $100+ for the inspection/assembly service and a little pool time. It's usually not at all like the local garage.

It is this exact mentality that is killing the LDS. :no They need to work to compete on price and then provide the customer service, whether you bought from them or not. With customer service like this, it is no wonder why so many LDS end up out of business.

On a side note, a pool dive would have been a good idea.

You could also test the new equipment out if you have access to a scuba club pool. And yes, taking some stuff over to your dive shop would help too. You just want to make sure that everything works before you go on your trip and also be familiar with your new gear (in the water).

Never, never, never, take a full set of brand new gear that you have never used to a far away location. Same goes for a newly serviced regulator too. That's just asking for something to go wrong at a time/place where you'd least like it to You need to dive with it locally. If you are a novice diver do that in a pool first.

If you bought new gear on-line your local shop will not be so happy to help you. They have a perfect right to say, "Ask the
guy you bought it from to use his pool and his time."

There is a basic law of the universe that says "If there are people living someplace then there is water there." So I assume there is water near you someplace. Ask the shop(s) about dive clubs and get with the clubs. Check out the equipment close to home before taking it to someplace expensive

H20Bubbles:
It is this exact mentality that is killing the LDS. :no They need to work to compete on price and then provide the customer service, whether you bought from them or not.

I agree. They should be saying "Yes I can help you. Now what is it you wanted again?" Never give a costomers (or potential customer) a reason to walk out the door. When a retailer sees a person who has been shopping elsewhere he should see it as an opertunity to "steal" a new customer for himself.

He Dives2Fast, I noticed others have said to ship you equipment to them... I will do one better since you are only a few hours away I'll come pick it up....
Just Joking hope you have a great trip.

I would not have the nerve to take gear I bought online to my LDS.

I'd ask my Instructor about helping me with it, and expect to pay him fairly for his time. May cost more than it would have to have bought the gear from the LDS, but only fair to both the LDS and Inst.

Do go to your LDS and buy a Safety Sausage, Storm Whistle, and maybe a Slate, tho. :wink:

This is not a condemnation or a flame. Just some thoughts from someone who's been on both sides and has several times considered opening a dive store.

One reason I've not opened a dive store is because LDS's can't compete strictly on price with mail order/ internet. The "S" in LDS means store- which means overhead. Greater overhead than some guy in his basement with a website. The benefit to having a LDS is for their expertise and hopefully great service (which is needed to build customer loyalty) If your LDS has not been "great" to you then so what. If they have been great to you then they'll probably continue it and help you with your gear because that's what good stores do. Just don't complain when they go out of business and you have no where to go for service/ instruction/ advice/ travel/ airfills/ etc.

Peace,

Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom