what drysuit would you buy and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I don't like crushed neoprene suits. I have a CF200 that is my backup backup backup suit because I hate it so much. It takes forever to dry and is less flexible. Also important is the choice of front or back zipper, with pros and cons to each.

What others have said rings true about the durability for what you are going to do. For crawling through wrecks I use a bulletproof fabric suit from Waterproof. For general diving I use vulcanized because it dries almost instantly. But more important than the choice of suit is the choice of undergarment. All the drysuit has to do is keep you dry. The undergarment has to keep you warm, breathe, keep the sweat away, and generally keep you comfy. The best drysuit in the world will make you miserable if the undergarment isn't good.

The important factors in undergarments are total insulating capacity, bulk, mobility, and weight required. In general, as insulating capacity goes up, weight required does, too. Often, bulk increases and mobility goes down. So if you dive in cold water, you're going to be dealing with a bulky undergarment and a lot of lead.

I have owned a 200g Thinsulate UG, a Whites MK3, a Halo, a DUI 400g (the old, red one) and a Thermal Fusion. I have borrowed and dived a Weezle and the heavy DUI fleece undergarment. I hated the DUI. It was bulky and stiff and bunched up in the small of my back in a thoroughly unpleasant fashion. The 200g Thinsulate is not warm enough for Puget Sound -- it sufficed when I was a new diver and did a lot of swimming, but once I got good enough to sit still, I got really cold.

For my money, the MK3, Halo, and TF are pretty similar in insulating capacity. The MK3 may be marginally warmer than the TF but it requires another 3 to 4 pounds of weight, and it's bulky. I dive it with my Santi suit, where I have lots of room to stuff things in the legs. I dive the TF with the Fusion, because it's much easier to get into the suit (although the UG itself takes a bit of wriggling). I really liked the Halo, which was streamlined and warm (weight requirement the same as the MK3), but the shoulder pads kept me from reaching my valves easily, so it had to go, replaced by the TF. This is not really an issue for single tank divers. I thought the Weezle was similar in warmth to the other garments I owned and had no real advantages over them.

When you live with an undergarment, other things also become important. Does it have a pocket you can put keys in, and CAN YOU GET TO THAT POCKET without taking the entire dry suit off? The Halo has its pocket on the outside of the right arm, which requires getting the arm out of the suit to get to the contents. Somebody wasn't thinking on that one. The MK3 has a drop seat, which is awfully nice for a female diver not using a p-valve, because one doesn't have to get out of the top of the suit to use the bathroom. That's really nice when the weather is cold, and it also keeps the sleeves dry :). The TF has "hand warmer" pockets which aren't really pockets. I have had problems with things I've put there falling out -- so far, I haven't lost any keys that way.

A final consideration is laundering. Thinsulate undergarments are unforgiving of washing. The Thinsulate fibers have a waxy coating that keeps them from packing, and if the garment is washed too often or in hot water or with detergent, you can damage or remove it, causing the insulation to work poorly. If you dive cold water in warm weather, you WILL want to be able to wash your UG periodically, or nobody will ride in the car with you. And if you use a p-valve, well, there are those times . . .

man you are right in saying its like what kind of car is best for you. I had no idea so much went into it. this is overwhelming. hahahaha. I will be doing a lot of research and trying things on before I buy one. thank you all and please keep the info coming.

I love my Fusion One. I've worn it diving Cozumel to Lake Michigan. Travels well, even learned to open and close the back zipper without assistance.

what do you think about the Santi, DUI or any other brand that is out there.

I bought a Santi, it's a nice suit but if I was to do it again I'd likely buy a crushed neoprene or the like, I feel the cold and I'm sure the added warmth of the neoprene would make me happier. I also do a lot of shore diving and sometimes get tossed around a little and I'd guess neoprene is a little more robust. I'd likely buy an O'Three.

I bought a Santi, it's a nice suit but if I was to do it again I'd likely buy a crushed neoprene or the like, I feel the cold and I'm sure the added warmth of the neoprene would make me happier. I also do a lot of shore diving and sometimes get tossed around a little and I'd guess neoprene is a little more robust. I'd likely buy an O'Three.

Why do you think you would go with the o'three?

Both of those brands are respected. Some like them, some don't. I really like my viking.

What do you like and dislike about the Viking?

Why do you think you would go with the o'three?

What do you like and dislike about the Viking?

They have a very good name for quality, durability and customer service. Also, Doppler, a member of this board recommends them and I trust him. Like I said being neoprene offer more inherent warmth than a trilam or the like.

Back
Top Bottom