What gauges do you check most often?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check depth, timer and tank pressure every minutes.."Alert"

Depth more often than pressure. I wear a wrist computer and a console computer. I use the wrist computer most often except when navigating (compass on console).

Keep in mind the computer also shows your safety stop time and ascent rate. I find it easier to look at the wrist computer on ascent and stop, and monitor almost continuously unless there's an ascent line.

Depth first, then time, then pressure. Depth and time are on my wrist, my SPG is clipped to my left D-ring, so it's not right in front of my face.

i find myself looking at depth and time very frequently, with a bit longer of an interval for looking at my gas.

towards the turn of the dive (usually when close to thirds), i look at the gas much
more frequently.

Depth first, then time, then pressure. Depth and time are on my wrist, my SPG is clipped to my left D-ring, so it's not right in front of my face.

Same here. I watch depth all the time. I would say a depth gauge on your wrist would be the best. I check my SPG every 4-5 minutes and try to guess what the number is before I read it.

I really dislike having depth gauges on a console. For one most consoles are big and bulky. Additionally, the most important point in the dive to watch your depth is on ascent. Generally, on ascent I prefer to adjust buoyancy with my left hand. With a console on the left I would be unable to monitor depth and adjust buoyancy at the same time.

A depth gauge on the right wrist is convenient. I have an analogue gauge however computers can do a pretty good job as well.

I like to keep track of time, depth and approximate compass course. By keeping track of time and approximate average depth I have a fairly good idea of the amount of air I have.

I only tend to look at my SPG towards the end of the dive and even then only occasionally. When I do check my SPG is also to confirm that everything is OK. If I get any surprises it probably is an indication of a malfunction/ leak, that I was working harder than I thought, or that I was cold.

just me personally, I prefer to have everything on my console, so all it takes is one quick glance and a flick of the wrist to take notes of all major criteria...also, because I do a little bug huntin' from time to time, having anything mounted on my wrist becomes a problem...if you have the opportunity, try some different configurations and see what works best for you

Depth and time!

jibjab:
The reason I'm asking is because I have very little experience diving and I'm trying to decide between an analog pressure guage w/ compass and a suunto wrist mounted vyper or just getting a suunto air integrated cobra w/ compass. the only reason i want the wrist mount is because its easier to check, however if i'm going to end up checking my pressure just as often it doesn't save me any time or hassle, it actually increases it because now i have to check my watch and my gauge in which case i'd be better off just having everything on a retractor on my chest.. so, will i likely find myself wanting to check my air as much or more often than my depth and bottom time? thanks!

ps. no not interested in forking over the bucks for wireless

Another consideration should be how well you can see the computer underwater. The cobra is going to have bigger numbers, and many people prefer it to a wrist-mounted computer because of that. A wrist mount is also easier to lose (or in some cases, steal). It'd probably be a good idea to stop in a diveshop and compare both of them side-by-side if you get the chance. Good luck!

#1 for me is Pressure- for sure-----and even though I have air integration-----I cross check with my analog SPG 2 or 3 times a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom