What gauges do you check most often?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Vyper computer (wrist mounted version of the Cobra). I tend to look at the depth and time on it rather frequently when I'm doing deep dives (over 70 feet). I check my SPG less frequently. It's mounted on my left D-ring as well. I have a very low SAC rate and I know how long I can stay down (roughly) before I hit my turn pressure. I'd say I check it about every 10 minutes on shallow reef dive and every 5 during a deeper dive. Of course I'm just estimating from memory.

I don't like consoles. I think it would be very awkward to ascend in a horizontal position with it and still maintain good trim. I don't know. I find just looking at my wrist while I have my hands folding in front of me a lot easier and no fumbling or reaching for a brick. But I think that's personal preference.

I think as a newer diver you will check your SPG and depth pretty often, depending how much fast you use up your gas.

Once you know what your SAC rate is you should have a pretty good idea what your tank pressure is based on depth and time. So I would go with the wrist mount since it is more stream lined. You would still check your pressure but there is not much need to more than every 10-15 mintues since you should be able to approiximate it based on depth and time.

1.Depth
2.Time
I am pretty good at knowing how much air I use over so much time. I myself prefer to use a wristmount gauge. I love my wristmount gekko that I get to use. I hate having to tuck anything into my BDC, since it usually pretty crowded(slate, light, etc.) I also have found the wristmounts easier for asscents and descents, since it is on my wrist is easier to monitor the gauge while mainting a good hold on the ascent line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom