What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are apparently trips where saving a few pounds on your reg and BCD is the difference between getting on that little plane that will fly you that last leg or not. But in general, yeah.

It's more likely that you'll get on the plane, but your wallet will be a bit lighter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thought about starting a new thread, but I figured my question could get answered in here. I don't have a lot of dives, but the more I dive the more I want to minimalize my gear. I have 2 console gauge (depth and pressure). I have found I rarely look at my depth on my console as I usually just rely on my computer. I'm thinking about selling the console and just go with a SPG. The only time I could see where the depth gauge on the console would come in handy would be if my computer crapped out and I would want to know where 15' is to still make a safety stop (obviously this after I immediately abort the dive and have no other issues preventing a safety stop). One thing I will say is that in NC most dive operators use a Carolina Rig, so there is a hang line at 15'.

Am I wrong in wanting to get rid of a bulky 2-gague console and just go with a SPG?
Nothing wrong with just using a brass and glass spg.

regrets : 1.) any knife shorter than 12 inch - a little knife is extremely one dimensional.
2.) Stab jackets, Back inflate BC's, any wing bigger than 25# lift. 3.) Aqua Lung Solar FX wetsuit. 4.) Plastic regulators.

Yeah, sliced bread can be in short supply in US:) The only advantage a longer blade has over shorter ones is when knives are not used as tools. Like in knife fighting.

Ever harvested big scallops off an oil rig with a child's knife? Or killed a 20 pound halibut? There's a reason why a 12 inch blade is preferred over a toy. I haven't replaced my Voit Swimmaster 12 inch knife in 30 years. And it still looks as good as the day I bought it. I've had quite a few fancy little titanium big dollar knives in my career and they're all gone now - the Voit is still here and strapped to my leg in every dive with the USMC Mk 2 K Bar fighting knife strapped to my left shoulder strap or weight belt.

Quality never goes out of style

Since this thread has become something of a 'knife fight,' I'll add someone mentioned in another thread that people wearing thick gloves can find folding knives difficult to deploy, so if you plan much cold water diving, something to think about. And if you take a solo diver course, you may be taught it's advisable to carry more than one cutting tool, so that if you get entangled, odds are higher you can reach one. Therefore, you can pick 2 different types (e.g.: line cutter, shears, big knife, little knife).

I'm a Trilobyte fan, but intrigued by the Dive Gear Express DGX Sharp Cut, which looks very similar but with non-rusting ceramic blades.

Richard.:

P.S.: Proposed motto for the thread; one man's trash is another man's treasure. Particular when people do different things (e.g.: kill fish & get scallops).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom