What have you been entangled in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By far the worst entanglements I have ever seen were on shore, as I listened to people trying to explain their understanding of deco theory.

There should be a laugh button in addition to the thanks button :rofl3:

I've gotten hours of amusement from discussion of this topic on ScubaBoard too

Good diving, Craig

Kelp, all the time. Just another day at the office in Monterey.

The worst are conversations I wished I hadn't gotten into.

I get tangled in my dive flag line at least once on every dive that I use one.

When I first started diving, I had some split fins with the plastic connectors (quick disconnect, or whatever it's called) on the fin straps. I was constantly getting caught in kelp as those plastic connectors protrude out and are kelp magnets.

Oddly enough, getting stuck in kelp is one reason I got my buoyancy nailed down quickly. I would get stuck, stop to pull myself out, and plummet down toward the ground....I quickly realized that if I had been neutral, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Luckily, I haven't been entangled in anything else up to this point, but I make sure to have at least one cutting device on me to make sure I can deal with it (hopefully) when the situation arises.

When I first started diving, I had some split fins with the plastic connectors (quick disconnect, or whatever it's called) on the fin straps. I was constantly getting caught in kelp as those plastic connectors protrude out and are kelp magnets.

Everything is grabby underwater, but especially kelp! It seems unintuitive since it's so slippery and slimy, but any California diver learns that lesson quickly.

I've had kelp catch on just about everything, including, during my first OW dive, my snorkel. That was the last time I used that while diving (though that's another heated debate :))

Personally I just think kelp likes us and wants to give us hugs :D

as it drowns our sorry arses

For newer divers who may be reading this thread, it's really not the kelp doing this. It's the kelp monster, with the head of a cabazon, the lips of a wolf eel, the body of a sea hare, the armor of a chiton and the legs of a salmon, that do in the divers around here. I'm frankly surprised they no longer brief students about it in OW class. Don't lay the blame on the innocent plant :no:

:D

Kelp. (thanks for the hugs!)
Twine.
Plastic wrap.
Fishing line.
A group of about 15 divers that the were dropped right on top of us in Cozumel by Sand Dollar Sports. Apparently their DM's thought that the funny looking, tubular orange thing sticking out of the water, combined with our own boat captain waving and yelling frantically at them (they must've thought he was just saying 'hello'), was their signal to jump. Good times!

The first four were around Catalina Island, CA. All in the same weekend. I'm not entirely sure what I did to piss the island off, but it must have been bad.

A stalkerlike relationship once.
It was fun for a while but then she took out a restraining order and everything went downhill after that.

I used to get entangled in fishing line a lot but now I move a lot slower, have less crap hanging off my kit and it is much less of an issue. My buddy seems to attract line more than me and often I see him swimming around with trails of line behind him :rofl3:.

Kelp is another one and once I got stuck to a buddy (something on my BC got stuck to something on his BC it seems), not sure how that happpened...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom