What have you done to make that dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So there is a dive event nearby this weekend. I was resigned to not being able to go because of lack of funds. However, I then realized that my college is buying back textbooks this week! I could go with that money! While I thought about this, I thought it would be cute to start a thread. What have you done to make that dive trip? :popcorn:

I drove 1700 miles, one way, to dive with Dive-aholic.

:cool3:

Called out sick to work on some occasions. Does that count?

Made a 2500 mile round trip drive in December 2010 during a blizzard to dive in Jupiter. Took 6 hours to get out of Virginia and I wound up in Santee, SC for the night after getting a blowout at the backend of that same blizzard. Limped my way into Santee rather than leave my car on the road since all the tow trucks were out helping other stranded motorists. Then took a 16 mile detour to the only tire place that had my low profile tires so I could continue on to FL. Got there in time for my first dive so the only thing I love more than my dive equipment is my R32. :D

Took me only 17 hours on the return 1250 miles to home.

Drove to Destin Florida (750 miles) in order to make six dives. Hard part was driving all the way home in a single day.

There is a court order preventing me from disclosing the details, but it was not my finest moment.

Last edited:
Got half way to a dive site and our minibus exhaust fell off causing the passenger compartment to fill up with smoke. Got out at the side of the road and strapped up what remained and chucked what was left of the exhaust system in the back of the bus. We then had to drive the rest of the way with the heaters on full blast to keep the passenger compartment pressurised to prevent exhaust fumes from getting in. Further down the road a wheel came off our boat trailer luckily we always carry a spare wheel bearing so we changed over the wheel bearing at the side of the road and carried on :D

Another time we where a few miles out to sea in our RHIB and we completed our first dive and started heading to our second and we went to turn round a headland and the wheel just spun round in our hands without doing anything. After cursing a while we rigged up a rope to the outboard and two of us sat at the back of the boat pulling on the ropes to steer while another guy sat up front working the throttle. We went a few miles this way to our second site, did the dive them went a few miles back to port. By the end of it our suits where totally covered in engine oil and grease :D

Our absolute best though was at a site called saint Abbs our boats engine died while our last group was in the water. We picked up the guys from the water and started rowing but we weren't making much headway so in the end all 6 of us in diving suits jumped in and swam round the back of the boat and started finning to push it into harbour. Took us about 45 minute working in shifts but we got it in and as we came into the port we saw the lifeboat house with the doors open ready to launch the lifeboat. They thought they where going to have to go out and tow us in and the look on their faces when we came round the corner into the harbour with all of us furiously finning at the back of the boat was absolutely priceless they had never seen anything like it :D after pushing in the boat for 45 minutes we then put on our kit and went for a shore dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom