what is a decompression dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummmm, I was just looking through your post history and you dive with 2 computers, a Cobra and Mosquito, dive a pony http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2182284#post2182284 and have solo diver under your screen name. If this is actually a real question, you have to get some training before you go into the water again, especially if you are solo diving which you have inferred in other threads.

Not understanding this basic concept can kill you.

As has been said above, decompression diving is a term usually used to refer to dives where you go deep enough, or stay long enough, that you can no longer proceed directly to the surface, but must spend specific periods waiting in the water at preplanned depths in order to shed the nitrogen you've absorbed during the dive.

Because the surface is NOT an option, you must be able to solve virtually all problems underwater. Because you can't deal with an equipment failure, or a shortage of breathing gas by going to the surface, you need very careful planning, and redundancy in your equipment and your gas supplies. Because the stops must be carried out at specific depths for specific times, you need very good buoyancy control so that you can be precise and stable.

Diving with a ceiling, whether a virtual one from a decompression obligation, or a real one in an overhead (wreck or cave), falls under the category of technical diving. The risks are higher in technical diving, and the training is longer and more demanding. The equipment is more involved and expensive.

You can have fun in the ocean for a lifetime without any necessity to get involved in technical diving. It is true that, in many places, the majority of the colorful and fascinating sea life can be enjoyed within recreational diving limits, as you have already discovered.

Computers used in recreational diving can be capable of recognizing when you have exceeded the time at depth that will permit you to go directly to the surface. Some will give you a ceiling and time for your decompression obligation. They are NOT designed for helping someone carry out decompression dives, and they do NOT calculate the optimal decompression profile, nor do they know if you have enough gas to complete the decompression obligation you've incurred. Computers are used in technical diving, but the dive is meticulously pre-planned so that the gas supply required is calculated in advance, and the optimal decompression schedule (as well as contingency plans for problems) is carried with the divers, even if a multi-gas computer is used as part of the dive procedure.

Suunto computers do flash and ask you to ascend to a certain depth but I take them into deco a lot and the stop time just increases. If you do the stops they tell you there is no penalty on the surface. If you do not do a required stop, they will lock you out for 24 hours.

Diver Dennis:
If you do not do a required stop, they will lock you out for 24 hours.

They go into guage mode and I like mine better that way. :wink:

Yes Red, in gauge it does not matter...:wink:

They do lock you out though, so you can't use that computer for 24 hours. I, uh, found out one day when I was doing my last mandatory stop surrounded by jellyfish. I was not diving the next day and had only a couple minutes left so I bent it. I was in a shorty.

To answer the posters basic question without getting to 'deep'-- All dives are decompression dives, simple and sweet.

lake mead...

with the water level so low, all dives from shore are 20-40 feet unless you want a long swim out! have not taken a boat out to get depth, yet...

--c

jtoorish:
peanuts (backwards)

Just wondering, where do you dive in Las Vegas?

JT

thanks again, for the info, everyone...

my dive instructor has a lot of learning to do...

in order to keep from dying, i'm training myself!

--c

stunaep:
my dive instructor has a lot of learning to do...
Good Lord.....I hope your instructor understands what decompression is related to diving!!!!! :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom