what is a decompression dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
They do lock you out though, so you can't use that computer for 24 hours. I, uh, found out one day when I was doing my last mandatory stop surrounded by jellyfish. I was not diving the next day and had only a couple minutes left so I bent it. I was in a shorty.

They do work in guage mode after they have locked out in computer mode. I had to puposely "bend" mine because I forgot to put it in guage mode and it wouldn't let me because it was in computer mode and required 24 hours before changing modes.

stunaep:
i haven't been diving too long, and seem a little foggy on the "decompression dive." i know that recreational diving typically is above 130ft, and as of right now i am not planning to go deeper, but what happens if you do?

other than the amount of air one has to breath, if i go below 130, what happens on my dive computer? does it tell me i've gone too far? i know i can set it to "guage" mode and just follow the numbers...

how do i get to a point where i can learn the skills with a decompression dive?

when i went to catalina a month ago, everything i wanted to see was above 60 ft and from what i hear, same is true for the tropical dives spots like cozumel...

just for clarification.

thanks,

--carlos

EVERY dive is a decompression dive. It's just a matter of whether or not a slow ascent, versus stopping at various depths for various times, is sufficient.

If you were able to instantly remove the pressure from your body, after being at depth, you'd be a mentos/pepsi kinda picture. You might not die or get bent but a doppler would be snap/crackle/popping.

Cripes man, were you paying attention in class?

All a computer needs to do is provide information.

I agree. I think the lockout procedure is a little extreme. It should give a reccomended 12 hour/24hr/48hr surface interval message, but not lock itself out. While I would never disobey what it reccommended to me, I can't help but want to make my own decisions based on my own training and experience---not a generic algorithm.

Jason Ooi:
Is mean miss decompression/safety stop of required...lock you out of water for 24hrs..

A Suunto will not lock you out for for missing a safety stop. It will just penalise you a little on the next dive.

miketsp:
A Suunto will not lock you out for for missing a safety stop. It will just penalise you a little on the next dive.

It locks you out if you violate a "ceiling." But it still functions in guage mode. You can do the same dive as your buddy with an Aeris and he may not have a ceiling. Suuntos are fussy.

MikeFerrara:
All a computer needs to do is provide information. If a diver needs some one else to make their decisions they should bring their mother.
Wow!

How do you make this thing applaud?
:luxhello: :luxhello: :luxhello:​

Best posting I've seen for awhile.
This soundbite should be engraved on everyone's wrist (not just for diving).

rocketry:
I agree. I think the lockout procedure is a little extreme. It should give a reccomended 12 hour/24hr/48hr surface interval message, but not lock itself out.
What is "a little extreme" about going into a gauge mode where it displays only depth and elapsed bottom time?

You have exceeded the model limits of the computer by surfacing (or ascending above ceiling) before you should have, and then staying on the surface (or above the ceiling) for greater than 5 or 10 minutes. It can no longer give you recommendations on how to stay within the computer model because you already have chosen to violate it.

Going to gauge mode (which is what most computers do when they "lock out") is IMO a very reasonable action.

Charlie Allen

MikeFerrara:
If a diver needs some one else to make their decisions they should bring their mother.

I do use a computer. If it locks me out then it's doing part of what it's designed for. In this case I chose to ignore it because I was diving with 2 divers who were with me at the same depths for the same time, so I knew I probably wasn't in deco. I just switched it to gauge mode to do the other dives because I was doing my next dives with the same divers. But if I was by myself and it said do a deco then I would do a deco. And that would be my "decision" thank you. If you don't use a computer then good for you. I had to make the "decision" for myself because my mom is afraid of deep water. Actually I think you are doing a disservice making that kind of comment. New divers are reading what you write...Of course however...You can write whatever....

Jason Ooi:
Dive computer is displaying Time and next Ceiling depth stop, if exceeding next ceiling stop get back in a in a minute, computer will show you again time for decompression stop.

Jason...Exactly....

perhaps what i was trying to say, is how does one dive past 140 feet, since my computer and the dive table only shows/calculates decompression rates for diving those parameters... i've seen television shows where someone goes down a cave for 6 hours and then takes 8 hours to come back up... how do you calculate that?

for those that gave me valuable feedback, thank you! this is how i got so interested in scuba and why i dive several times a week... why i tell everyone about my diving and show them the pictures of the places i've been. i want to learn all that i can, but if i can't take an extra step forward every time i dive, basically, try to learn something new, my skills and aptitude will not improve. time and more dives will tell!

for those of you that criticized, you know where to go... come on! it's people like you that take the fun out of learning new things / trying new things / continuing doing it, too... you could spoil someone winning the lottery! i've seen divers like these take someone diving beyond their abilities or show off... it doesn't impress me! i am very sure that there are things that you are new to or have less than of than others: credit, income, personality, friends... just remember your posts the next time you're denied for a loan, you can't pay a bill or buy something new because you don't make enough money, someone tells you they don't like you or you lose a friend; lose a job!

anyway... my dive shop owner was a joke and i found another... they are going to help me finish my advanced open water certification that i paid for and if they work out, i'll continue my training with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom