What is a Dive Buddy for anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point exactly!!

Although I have concerns about kids diving that is a decision for the parents to make. My intention on this thread was to raise the awareness that dive buddies have responsibilities to assure a safe dive. An adult failed to check his buddy prior to going in the water.

What I am trying to instill in everyones mind is to remember what you were taught, what you read or heard about. Practice your dive buddy checks so hopefully you and your buddy can have a safe, fun dive.

yes, people are creatures of habit, and getting into the habit of doing proper buddy checks diving would be a safer sport.
Just a side note how many Instructors or DM's get a buddy check prior to going into the water? Is it the situation? or Is it because they "feel" it not nesessary?
I have watched a number of experienced divers not do a buddy check and the new divers watch that, and question is a buddy check really worth it? Then when you hear of a story about a JR diver, how quickly do we blame the Jr?? I felt low after the last comments, will I set a good example for my Jr. diver?

As I said earlier it was the parents fault. I'm very much looking forward to my daughter diving with me as she is. I know she could already be certified (she doesn't know that). She will be 12 in Feb. and that's when she will take classes. Personally I feel 10 is too young and will have to see how she does in class at 12. If she does well in the classes, great, then we can dive together! She will never be on a dive without me and it will be in conditions I know she can handle. I have seen lots of parents that don't dive themselves send their kids to class and off on a boat by themselves. Amazing! I don't understand how they can do that. The 1st thing that should be in everyones mind is safety.
Ldreamin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom