What is more important for tec training, agency or instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you were diving on 32%? So how deep were you?

My point was the guy kept his cool over a hundred metres from the surface. Sound like you could have sent up an SMB with note asking for more gas.

... that's a bit of a useless gesture inside a cave ... and you can be a lot further from the surface than 100 metres ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So you were diving on 32%? So how deep were you?

My point was the guy kept his cool over a hundred metres from the surface. Sound like you could have sent up an SMB with note asking for more gas.

You said he swapped it during deco, which even on a half hour at 300ft would be 190ft before the first gas switch and more likely 120ft. Could you make up the story details before posting? It's confusing to those of us reading this Hollywood style novel.

You said he swapped it during deco, which even on a half hour at 300ft would be 190ft before the first gas switch and more likely 120ft. Could you make up the story details before posting? It's confusing to those of us reading this Hollywood style novel.

Do you even know how to do deep dives? First switch at 120ft. Please you're just embarrassing yourself.

Do you even know how to do deep dives? First switch at 120ft. Please you're just embarrassing yourself.

300ft for 30min would give you 6min until the 190 switch, and most would feel comfortable skipping that in an emergency. Outside of CCR, there aren't a ton of people spending that long at 300ft. For a 15min dive at 300ft, you've got 10-15min before 120ft. I seriously doubt anyone would opt to bring another tank unusable until 190ft rather than an extra bottom stage.

We're still not discussing support teams, which IMO would be required for anything beyond the 15min example excluding perfect site conditions, and would have gas to donate.

300ft for 30min would give you 6min until the 190 switch, and most would feel comfortable skipping that in an emergency. Outside of CCR, there aren't a ton of people spending that long at 300ft. For a 15min dive at 300ft, you've got 10-15min before 120ft. I seriously doubt anyone would opt to bring another tank unusable until 190ft rather than an extra bottom stage.

We're still not discussing support teams, which IMO would be required for anything beyond the 15min example, and would have gas to donate.

You'd switch from a 10/72 straight to 50? Good luck. let me know how the ICD goes.

You'd switch from a 10/72 straight to 50? Good luck. let me know how the ICD goes.
I think you're the only one that thinks I'm referring to 50% when I say 120ft gas switch.

Were you taught to clip the 120 bottle filled with 50% to the rich or lean side during your training?

I think you're the only one that thinks I'm referring to 50% when I say 120ft gas switch.

:acclaim: *golf clap* wasn't paying attention. I'll cough to that

EDIT: The depressing thing is my attention is on trying to find for book screws for my BP, bloody hard to find in the UK. What a Rock N Roll evening!

Were you taught to clip the 120 bottle filled with 50% to the rich or lean side during your training?

I run about a 5% bodyfat, so it's always clipped to a lean side. :wink:

Not going down that road.

Last edited:
What was the original post about?
:focus:

Agency quality is subjective and not one is better than the other on all levels.

You can have the opinion that you are training with the best of the best agencies but have an instructor who is a schmuck. It really comes down to your interaction, compatibility and competency of your instructor.

I would certainly hope that if I were in that situation the worse thing that would go through my head would be, "Damn! Now I'm going to have to get that reg cleaned out!"
And possibly a new spg!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom