What is the best size of shoe (touching the toe or having room?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyrandom

Registered
Reaction score
Usually when I buy a pair of shoes to wear daily, I will try to leave a little room between the front of my shoes and my toes. That is to say, if I extend my toes, they won't touch anything.
So, when I was buying a pair of diving boots, shall I stick to the same method? Or shall I buy a pair shoes that are tighter? i.e. when I extend my toes, they can touch the front of the shoe, but they still can extend instead of being stretched.
Sorry if this question looks a bit dum.

I'll take a shot at this. Buy what's comfortable. I don't consider diving boots as "normal" shoes because of the way they're made and the materials they're made of. If you're buying thinner tropical-type boots then I don't think you'd need the extra room; just go for your true size. If you're buying a thicker boot or even something like a Rock Boot I would give it a little room because you may want to wear it with an extra layer inside to keep your feet toasty warm. Again, comfort is king.

Definitely get what's comfortable. I have thick souled boots and there is a little room at the end. I think they would be uncomfortable otherwise. I remember trying on about ten pairs of boots/booties before purchasing at the shop. I kept asking questions like yours and they just kept telling me to find a pair that is comfortable.

polyrandom

Think of it as if you were trying on a pair of socks...as opposed to a pair of shoes and a good rule of thumb is to start with one size down from your shoe size...Size 10...then go to size 9, etc...
Not a dumb question at all...Hope this helps...

I wore a too small pair just once. I got about fifty yards across the quarry and turned back. The continuous rubbing of my toes while finning hurt so badly I couldn't stand it. When in doubt, err on slightly bigger.

Best thing to do is walk around the store with them on. This way you can tell if it is comfortable, which is the size you should get. I prefer to have about a cm of space from my toes, but that is my personal comfort zone.

Back
Top Bottom