What is the perfect SCUBA car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Tide:
My only complaint is the gas mileage but what can you expect it has the aerodynamics of a parachute. Still I find the gas mileage to be bearable. I get around 17-18 mpg.

hahaha

Ah, Blue Tide, my face is red with shame. Of course! How could I have been so stupid?
I checked, and you are right. It IS the same exhaust gas coming out of my tailpipe. I guess I am just as much a part of the problem as some red neck with a cretinous grin driving 3 tons of iron down to the Higgly Piggly to pick up a pack of Marlboros.

Actually, perhaps I'm red from breathing in too much carbon monoxide from my car's tailpipe while checking the accuracy of your comments. I'm probably way off base here, and I might humiliate myself even further, but let me ask anyway. I'm sure you are correct in asserting that all internal combustion engines produce the same stuff, but do they all produce the same amount? Don't small engines, burning about half as much gas to travel comparable distances, produce only half as much pollution as huge heavy machines with big thirsty engines? Are you suggesting that since you pee in the pool, it makes no difference if your uncle Bob and all his drinking buddies also pee in the pool? It's all the same stuff, I suppose. That's all that matters. How much pee is not the issue, right?
I do use a bicycle to travel the 4 miles to work and back, weather permitting. I teach, so my schedule usually allows me to avoid the heaviest traffic. Those trucks and SUVs make bike riding a real challenge. The exhaust from one of those behemoths can poison you.

Blue Tide:
Hey, I got some news for ya. If your driving an automobile that runs on gas you are just as much part of the problem as anyone else. The same exhaust gas is coming out of your tailpipe as the next guys.

I've never been able to figure out why a person crammed into a little bity *** car is better than someone sitting in an H2. The bottom line is: if your driving your causing pollution too, period.

So, cut the crap sell your car and start riding a bicycle. Then maybe I'll take your little rant seriously.
The H3 puts out ~11.1 tons of emissions per year.

A Civic puts out ~5.5 tons, the same as a Jetta or Corolla.

A Prius puts out about 3.4 tons per year.

If you're going to seriously tell me that all of those numbers are really about the same, then we're going to have some words :)

jonnythan:
The H3 puts out ~11.1 tons of emissions per year.

A Civic puts out ~5.5 tons, the same as a Jetta or Corolla.

A Prius puts out about 3.4 tons per year.

Ah,
But if you get in front of my HD2500 and get hit, thats why I carry a shovel...
My family will NOT ride in a honda, I've seen them crushed by Ford Ranger mini-trucks...same goes for TOYota, Hyundia, Kia.....

I do think that we need to look at alternative fuel sources, but in the meantime,
I think I'll sell the wifes minivan and buy a SUBURBAN........:14:

Going to have to acquire Scuba Car next year in our household too. I was interested in seeing several people comment on the Honda Element – as it seems someone in my household has their eyes set on that one. (I kind of agree with the CAR TALK guys about that one myself&#8230:wink:

Anything negative to report on the Element, shortcomings relating to scuba activities? To me the back appears a bit low for gearing up… Haven’t had a chance to check the beast at dealer yet.

And to introduce another option for the OP. This far I have dived from Saab 93. Qualifies as a beginner scuba car very well! We regularly fit six tanks (no doubles), full sets of two person’s gear and big-honking cooler into the hatch and back seat for several days’ of diving. By leaving two tanks home, we can even fit our two cats’ in their carriers. And come on, how many cars have butt-warmers! Essential after cold-water dives!

I dive using a 93 Volkswagen Eurovan MV Weekender- yes, the pop top. I can carry tanks under the back shelf, and slide my big bin full of gear in the side sliding door. I get to the dive site, pop up the camper top, and then tilt up the upper bed board so that it latches to the roof- now I have standing room inside to get dressed (or even better when you are a wetsuit diver, *undressed*) in privacy, especially if I want to pull the curtains closed.
The floor is carpeted, but I can just cut a rubber mat to fit the floor plan and be able to brush all the sand out.
If I pop up the rear hatch, 3-4 people can stand underneath to get out of the rain (or get shaded from the sun)
I can go camping and sleep 2 up, 2 down.
I can carry 6 people (If I hadn't gotten rid of the jump seat near the door I coud seat 7)
If I lay the bed down I can carry full sheets of plywood.
It has a flip-up table- so I can eat lunch in the van, or play cards.
There is a powered cooler under one of the seats.
gomi_

man u all are maken me want to get a job and get a car,lol but i'm only 14 so that's not going to happen for 2more year's

Did everyone forget the best Family RV. :D It sleeps 6 to 8 divers and can park in a parking lot next to the beach. :mooner:

The 637 class, nuclear fast attack sub is the best scuba car, in MHO. It's roomy, you only have to buy fuel once every 15 years, and you can lock in and out of it while submerged, so your secret lobster spots can remain that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom