What is the purpose of a Tri-Pony setup in a shroud?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Tri-Pony Tanks.jpgTri-Pony Tanks1.jpgTri-Pony Tanks2.jpgTri-Pony Tanks3.jpg
It looks pretty cool but what was/is its intended use?

Not seen one of those in years, was a very slick setup... Was very streamline.

That's not three pony, that's 90 cubic feet of primary gas. That was, once-upon-a-time, USD's top of the line rig. I have a set like that too.

Not seen one of those in years, was a very slick setup... Was very streamline.

So basically I can still dive with it? And it would be worth getting the hydro and vis check so my diveshop will do the fills?
Sorry to be a pest! Around here not one person I know that dives has ever seen one before.

You might search the vintage subforum for some info on triple cylinder rigs. Here is a quote from one of the threads there with a little info:

Thank you! I was searching for 'Tri-Pony' everywhere. The dialect of scuba still leaves me totally baffled more often than not.

That was designed BITA by US Divers for Cousteau and company then also sold to the general public. Looks to be in nice condition. If the cylinders are original be aware they are AL 6351 (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum).

That is an ABS....Advanced Breathing system (and it's not vintage- it's mid 80s). You can still use it but frankly it's not worth the effort except for the cool factor. The tanks are most likely 6351 alloy but that not that big of a deal in reality. The issue you have is many dive shops will refuse to fill any aluminum tank that is older than 1990- misguided but none the less it's their compressor so their rules. Then there is the cost. You will need 3 hydros and vips and at roughly $50 each the cost is fairly high. Plus I would guess most shops would charge some kind of dis/assembly charges. All in all, you are much better off cost wise with a single 90 or 100 cf tank. The nice part is yours seems to be complete, I don't think I have ever seen one that included the BC. Most kept the BC and got rid of the tanks. Bottom line, you can have it serviced and dive it but the cost is going to be fairly high and you may have issues getting the tanks filled due to the tank alloy.....add to all of that, many places charge extra for filling doubles...not sure what they would do with triples. Fun toy for the collector but not really practical for the average diver.

Well, The bad news is its actually never been in the water! haha. It still has all of the original stickers from US Divers Co and the BC is still stiff from the factory. Not sure what I'll do with it right now. I should probably make someone else test it for me first ... I have an all original AquaLung DW Mistral and the most hideously sharp brass dive knife they can test for me at the same time! If I didn't know better I'd suspect the old people around here don't want me to come back up. :p

Back
Top Bottom