What is wrong with my Worthington tank??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a good product and I am sure they will find the cause,
One thing is a tank in a trunk that has a chance to roll or bang into something is NFG! Unless you have tank caddies,
Second the heat built up in a closed trunk a real no-no! thats why I would not buy a used AL-80 from a Floridian!Man seen them store tanks in closed pick up cabs with temps in the high 90's! you know what the temps in a closed trunk or cab are=WOW Hot real hot!
I would like to see a high Mega pixel close up of the discolored area,not to second guess any of the pros.
Worthington has a sweet product and I have dove salt and fresh and NP!
Dive safe,
Good news goes no place & bad news hits the NET!
Brad

I still think the dog got it.

Leadking:
Call me at Sea Pearls, 1-800-3852, I will have the tank picked up, inspected, and a full report to you at no cost. Everyone involved with Worthington Cylinder wants you to be satisfied with your purchase.

Lee Selisky
www.seapearls.com
that (stain) or what ever is really wierd, i have worthington 119"s and love them and after a years worth of over one hundred dives still look nice so somthing is really strange, they the people of worthington and thier asso will take care of you as i have had nothing but great business with them

moneysavr:
Brad

Hahaha... Brad,

I think this will bring out a good output. Leadking (Lee)'s customer service is exllent...:wink:

moneysavr:
You have a good product and I am sure they will find the cause,
One thing is a tank in a trunk that has a chance to roll or bang into something is NFG! Unless you have tank caddies,
Second the heat built up in a closed trunk a real no-no! thats why I would not buy a used AL-80 from a Floridian!Man seen them store tanks in closed pick up cabs with temps in the high 90's! you know what the temps in a closed trunk or cab are=WOW Hot real hot!
I would like to see a high Mega pixel close up of the discolored area,not to second guess any of the pros.
Worthington has a sweet product and I have dove salt and fresh and NP!
Dive safe,
Brad

While I agree that Worthington makes a great product, the heat in a car or trunk would have no effect on a tank that was in good condition. The heat temps involved are no-where near anything needed to structurally weaken either a steel or aluminum tank. As for the pressure build-up inside a hot tank, thats what the burst disks are for. Not that a 30 or 40 degree (F) temp increase will raise the pressure level in a tank to critical.

FD

fire_diver:
While I agree that Worthington makes a great product, the heat in a car or trunk would have no effect on a tank that was in good condition. The heat temps involved are no-where near anything needed to structurally weaken either a steel or aluminum tank. As for the pressure build-up inside a hot tank, thats what the burst disks are for. Not that a 30 or 40 degree (F) temp increase will raise the pressure level in a tank to critical.

FD

I tend to agree with you. I am thinking something pretty unusual had to be in the trunk if I did this. For the record we are talking about northeast, and THIS tank was in the trunk during times that all fall between 5 pm to 8 am, so… Rest of the time it had been inside the house protected from direct sunlight even. In trunk my tanks are not banging onto each other, I use racks and tank noodles. And Pete I can assure you, no dogs were in the house, and I think it would take urine of quite a beast… :)

I try to take care of my gear, and that’s why I asked if this is common with galv tanks. I have never managed to do anything to my painted tanks. I am new diver, and it saddens me that a new tank looks like this. I will definitely take up on the offer for inspection – for me it’s important to find out if I have to worry about deteoriation WHETHER this is my fault or some problem with manufacturing.

I think it adds character. Who wants their equipment to stay shiny and new looking. Just my $0.02....

WD

Come on guys... It is very commmon excuse that it will be a user error. I don't believe that piikki are playing with his tanks. We don't know exactly what caused until Lee inspects the tank....

willydiver:
I think it adds character. Who wants their equipment to stay shiny and new looking. Just my $0.02....

WD

I do! Well, at least I do not want my gear to look like something suspicious happened to it. (And Hoosier, it's her - maybe that explains why I am prissi-er about my tanks :) )

P.S. Picked my tanks from shop today. Looks like 'someone' tried to do some extra scrubbing on one particular tank. Had terrycloth nuff and color all over the stains...

Great news!!!! Very very happy customer here!

The news for my tank weren’t condemning either, not so great in that sense that my tank did indeed, according to Worthington engineer, get exposed to either acid or base at some point. The zinc or whatever first layer reacted to the compound like expected, protecting it, and that’s when the tank ended up stained. This should not pose any structural problems later on though.

What and how and where the nasty stuff got on the tank is still a mystery but looks like I got gear from a pretty great company this time! The blame-game was not played for one second, and these guys just wanted me to be happy with my new tank. Before I got to finish the phone call with Mike to hear the engineer’s verdict on the stains, Lee had already talked to my LDS! I am getting a new tank next week!! Lee arranged it all with the shop, so I just need to go pick up a replacement tank when it’s in. I’m sure he let’s us know if something really weird is found out about my stained tank later on. Oh boy am I happy with Worthington guys right now. Thanks!!!!
:):):):):):):):):):):):)

Back
Top Bottom