What is your favorite web source for scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS has a GREAT sign in the changing room, it reads:

"This is not the dressing room for www.scubagear.com"

I don't think they are singling out a particular site, but just want to get the point across, which I think it does very well. I'm guessing quite a few shops have something similar, or soon will.

Simple, to the point and very appropriate.

No one mentioned a LDS that does both internet sales and walk in.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but they're nice people and I would like to give them a plug.

Divers Supply:

http://www.divers-supply.com

I go to the store in Macon. There are several stores, in Fla, SC, and GA. 9 locations plus the internet.

That's the way I see to make it worthwhile, consolidate with other dive stores, make big volume purchases for each store plus a central warehouse.

The American dream is over and greed needs to be supplanted with cooperation and the only way to make a living is to be willing to share in the profits, and make a smaller but consistant salary.
This is a niche market, there is not that large a customer base to support far too many stores. By merging stores in different locations, even seasonal slumps can be averted. I can't wait for the "Home Depot" styyle dive shop. Low overhead, near wholesale prices.

ok, /rant off

Happy days,
Warren

I have purchased a great deal of my gear online. Mostly because they have better prices. My favorite online dealers are:

www.diversdirect.com
www.diveinn.com
www.scubatoys.com

I love my LDS as much as the next guy. I purchased several items from them and will purchase many more in the years to come. Its no secret they (LDS) are in a struggle to compete with online stores, but there is a good reason for that. LDS are simply charging more money than online stores. Most people are going to go for the better deal. Its simple economics. LDS are trying very hard to discredit online sales by insinuating that warranties and maintenance are not covered, which is a point to be heeded. The large difference in costs between the two however to me does not add up the factors the LDS cites. I can still take my online purchases and take them to my LDS to have theme serviced, and I still get the manufacturers warranties. The LDS are charging higher prices because they are smaller business' with a much smaller customer base. Online stores can offer lower prices because they literally have the whole world as customers. The LDS will have to evolve and supply divers with the those things which online megastores cannot. Finding that niche will be the key to thier success....or thier failure. Its wrong to blame the customers. My two cents!

Originally posted by Ari
Why do you like it? Why is it better than others?

Ari :)

Ari,
I forgot one thing. Another reason I like buying online is because I can do so from the comfort of my office desk, and they deliver straight to my door. I dont have to go to the LDS and listen to thier sales pitch. After researching potential gear here and other places online, I know what I want and dont need a sales clerk at the LDS trying to change my mind. You may have to wait a week or so before you get your item, but its usually worth the wait considering how much money you save.

Drat!!

I totally missed your point didnt I?

Okay, lets see If I can get it this time.

I like www.diveinn.com because they have unbelievable prices and they deliver very quickly...from Barcelona, Spain no less. They also carry a broad range from the most reputable scuba manufacturers.

I like www.scubatoys.com because they deliver quickly. Mostly because they are based out of Dallas and Im in Little Rock (5 hours down the Interstate). They dont carry alot of the high end stuff, but they are really good for the accessory type items.

I like www.diversdirect.com because of they carry Mares products. Its hard to find online Mares dealers. They also have a good return policy. They are one of those stores which is actually several LDS based in Florida which realized that the Web was the way to go. They have several shops all over Florida where you can actually walk in. They have a points program where you earn points with every purchase (should come in handy later). Last but not least...they have good customer service. Ive had a few words with them, but they always make sure Im happy when its all said and done. Thier prices arent as good as DiveInn though....or Leisure Pro.

Back
Top Bottom