What is your LDS and WHY? (Phoenix Area)

Dive shops

• All Wet Scuba

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • AquaBlue Sports

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • El Mar Diving Center

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Inland Water Divers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NDepth Scuba

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Ocean Planet Scuba

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Oasis Divers

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Paradise Scuba

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Saguaro Diving & Sports

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Scuba Sciences

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Scuba Specialties

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Sports Chalet

Votes: 8 9.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was certified with Scuba Sciences years ago. I support them because they have always given me great service, honest advice on equipment (been very happy with my BC), help with my scuba skills, fair prices and tons of trips to go on.

They seem to sell only companies that have lifetime warranties on their equipment (Zeagle and Scuba Pro that I can think of right now). I feel better knowing if something goes wrong with my equipment, Scuba Sciences will take care of it.

They also have a lot of activities to do (some are scuba related, others are not) that keeps me doing stuff rather than watching TV. This weekend Marty Snyderman is coming to Phoenix to have a digital slide show (I saw it on Scuba Sciences' website) and he is teaching an underwater photo class. That is really neat that Scuba Sciences can get a well-known underwater photographer to come a do a class like this. I can't wait!!

Another activity Scuba Scienes has is a Christmas Party, which they have catered, dancing, contests, and TONS of door prizes! Last year I won a full size LED flashlight worth over $100 and my friend won an underwater camera! Well worth the price of my tickets! This year's party is on December 9th.

Happy diving to everyone!

missy01:
... And as far as the trips they run- they are the ONLY dive shop in the state that has their own bus and drives you to the dive location. Every other dive shop makes you drive your own vehicle (if you break down along the way- you are S.O.L.!) This could be a major inconvience to everyone on the trip!!!
While other dive shops may not have such a high regard for other people in the industry they have NEVER said a derogatory thing about any other shop in the state.

Missy,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the board :D

I have to humbly and respectfully respond and in no way undermine your vote of confidence and enthusiasm for Scuba Sciences. El Mar does provide transportation for all of it's trips to California and San Carlos so they are not the only shop to provide this service. And we ask that there be no shop bashing in this thread, you cannot speak of how any other shop owners regard Scuba Sciences, and statements like these and words like 'NEVER' and 'ONLY' are agumentative and we don't want this thread to go there please.

-Garrett (on his best behavior :wink: )

Wow, look at all the new members on the board in the last few weeks! How great - some promise for continued lively discussion here on the AZ board.

Scuba Specialties is the shop I got my OW cert and my gear from. My husband and I both dive and we've been there dozens of times (and thousands of dollars) since then and they are always good to us.

We're venturing to Sports Chalet for tanks this weekend because we have to - can't say anything for or against. They ARE right on the way to Puddle Pleasant. (disclaimer: lovingly mocking lake - we dive there a lot).

We have bought 2 items from Scuba Sciences. My husband had his research done before we walked in the door and they were the only spot who had it so it was a pretty easy sale. The 2nd item didn't work out for me and I wanted to return it (it was unused) but could only get store credit so my hubby got himself a nice dive tool with the spare credit. One can never have too many, (or too large) dive tools IMHO.

I Pick Scuba Sciences.And Here Are My Reasons.I Would Have To Say,It's The Staff.Paul Really Does Care About The People.And So Does Linda.Aka Tina.And Eddie.They Are Great.The Courses They Teach Are Excellent.And I Like Zeagle,Scubapro,And Usia Products.I Could Go On But I Wont.You Get The Picture.Thank-You For Your Time.Good Idea On A Thread Garrett.........Timmay....

Sorry.I Forgot Something.As For All Of You,I Too Have Met Some Great New Friends And People At Scuba Sciences.....................Timmay..................................

I don't really have a local LDS. I frequently buy from TDL and ScubaToys because they carry what I need and for great prices. I also buy odds and ends from shops in Florida when I'm there, for the same reasons. When in the valley, I usually stop at Sport Chalet, Happy Valley, for fills because of their location and their hours. I've been to All Wet Scuba several times and even went on a trip with them. Great people there. I have plans to visit a few of the other shops over the next couple of months. I haven't bought much in gear locally because what I dive isn't carried locally.

I was certified with Scuba Sciences in 1995 after a friend highly recommended them. I went to at least 6 different stores to see what the differences were. A lot of the stores had employees working that were not divers. I had tons of questions and couldn't get any answers. Other stores seemed too interested in the parties after the diving was done or getting done with class as fast as possible. I wasn't too comfortable with that.

When I went into Scuba Sciences I found Matt, George and Paul, who were all very knowledgeable, explained the classes, equipment and trips. I had a hectic schedule to work with and they made it work for me to take the classes. During the class I came in and practiced in the indoor heated pools at least weekly to get better at my skills (in addition to the pool training weekly). I felt right at home.

About 2 months later I started working for Scuba Sciences and the rest as they say is history. I have really enjoyed working with the students and the staff members over the years. I have a great time at work (not many people can have their favorite hobby/sport as their daily work) and I really enjoy teaching people to dive, helping them perfect their skills, work with the Children's Scuba Ranger Club and of course, travel to go SCUBA DIVING! It's been a great ride that I hope will continue.

Scuba Sciences Inc. is very friendly to me and my family. No matter how many questions I ask,:confused: they always take their time to help me. Paul tells funny stories and makes the class interesting for us "young adults".:coffee: haha
My friend, and his mom and dad went to another scuba school that taught a 2 day class. He was making fun of me because I told him my class was 36 hours and takes 6 weeks to finish. They were told they were ready to go to the ocean after only 2 days! When they got back he told me he did not get certified. :rofl3: His mom and dad told him to ask me what school we went to, I told him Scuba Sciences Inc.

TurtleTurtle Peace Out! :mooner:

Whaz up ,I choose scuba sciences because I have taken classes from basic to instructor and I have had some issues, but they have been resolved with a little communication. Not only that but the staff is great and knows how the dive industry is and how it sould be done. thanks to shark byte for the poll! :D

missy01:
And as far as the trips they run- they are the ONLY dive shop in the state that has their own bus and drives you to the dive location. Every other dive shop makes you drive your own vehicle (if you break down along the way- you are S.O.L.!) This could be a major inconvience to everyone on the trip!!!
Missy,

Funny you should post this. Back when I was certified in 1981 with Scuba Sciences, their van ran out of gas outside of Yuma. After the DM hitched into town for gas, we made it to San Diego a few hours before departure (Sand Dollar was berthed there then)

Maybe that's why SS bought the bus...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom