What kind of certification needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathyfayre

Reaction score
Do you need wreck diving certification to dive NC wrecks? I have advanced - would that be enough?

No,none of the boats I know of require Wreck certification.They would like for you to have done an ocean dive over 80 ft in the last year but I would suggest that you give them a call.Discovery Divers in Beaufort Olympus or Diver Down in Morehead City are all helpful and have regular trips running now.Last Sat. the vis was 100 ft and the bottom temp 80F.
Come on down and get wet!
Tom

I have acess to a 75 foot boat out of cherry grove dolphan 2 close to myrtle beach plainning group trip this may all ready , maybe a advance or deep dive ansd shallow dive for the others so everyone gets a shot at a good ocean dive .
as others stated you dont ned wreck or deep but would recomend them at least one shallow ocean dive and go from there .

Olympus in Morehead City requires Advanced certification before going to any of the offshore wrecks...but you could still do the Indra and I think the Hutton. Maybe a couple of others but those are the big 2 as far as inshore dives go. But you have your AOW so you're golden.

You should be straight with AOW.. Just remember that this is not the Caribbean though. Expect rough seas, long boat rides (2-3 hours one way), sharks, etc. Too many people dive it once when it is glassy and underestimate it. THe diving is world class though...you would have to look far and wide to find something comparable, IMHO.

You are correct O-ring...it's often referred to as "Big Boy Diving"

Scuba Diving magazine rated it #1 in North America for wreck diving...it was ranked in the top 5 in some other categories as well.

dwright once bubbled...
You are correct O-ring...it's often referred to as "Big Boy Diving"

Scuba Diving magazine rated it #1 in North America for wreck diving...it was ranked in the top 5 in some other categories as well.
I have been a few places here and there and I would put NC up against any of them. It's the only place where I consistently see big aquatic life (barracuda, rays, turtles, sharks) and big wrecks coupled with warm water and awesome viz.

There aren't too many other places I would rather dive..

There is no doubt we have great diving but I do think it's difficulties are not explained well enough. This is not Florida or the Caribbean and IMHO it's not the place for novice divers (for the most part). I don't think a lot of people realize that a 50% blow out rate is about the norm or that 4 to 5 ft seas are considered good. 6ft seas are not the place for someone on their first boat dive and that has never gotten onto a heaving ladder. A Carolina ladder ride can be scarry as hell and down right dangerous, even for an experienced diver. And speaking of heaving, seasickness is another factor that I think many underestimate or don't take into account at all. No doubt the diving is great after you get under water, but divers should not take the surface conditions or the depths lightly.

Back
Top Bottom