• Skull mounted slide rule

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • RDP wedged somewhere on the body

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Other

Votes: 26 8.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my head, plan with manual tables, use an air-integrated Datamax Pro in my console, and have a wrist mounted OMS EANx on the inside of my forearm. Seems to work for me. Bought the Datamax Pro used, and the EANx new, total cost for both around $400.

I would opt for the super safe, user battery replaceable, RGBM using Vytec. It's 400 bucks between the vytec and the cobra but it's nice to just look at your wrist to know everything that is important to you. I have the Cobra and it's plenty good.

Of course you would have to replace that Vytec strap with a bungee cord just to look pseudo DIR.

I have a Matrix console-mounted job that is older than dirt (sea water?) and a Suunto Stinger that is about a year old. I have used the Matrix for quite a while and never had a complaint. Since I carry a camera U/W, I usually tucked the console in my BC or looped over my left arm. Never had a problem.

I got the Stinger because I wanted a back-up since I had actually seen a couple of computers die on trips. Funny thing is that I use them both during dives. The Stinger is more conservative, so I use it on ascents; the Matrix is right next to my air gauge, so I tend to peek at it when I check my air. At other times, I just glance at the Stinger.

If I had to choose only one, what would I do? Probably go with the Stinger: its size and convenience draws me to that conclusion.

An afterthought: Most of our dives are boat dives and we tend to leave our gear on the boat or in a locker. So, I used a Suunto quick release (qr) on my console so I could take just the console back to my room for dive logging. The Stinger obviates the need for that. However, I left the qr on the console because it makes packing the regulator much easier.

Scorpionfish

It's a dive watch and a dive computer. Barely bigger than most dive watches, I keep in on my wrist all the time.

I've used a console setup for 3+ years now. I discovered it was a pain in the *ss to keep ones console in view while ascending / doing safety stops, etc. I've grown to love wrist mounted instruments. I got the Stinger because it will also act as a bottom timer for square profiles and tech diving (and it's a Suunto, the best in the industry).

The Mosquito might be a better choice if you plan to stick to recreation diving. It will not do gage mode like the Stinger, but it will do just about everything else. I had a Mosquito for a few weeks, and the only complaint I had was that the buttons seemed a bit hard to push.

--Rick
(As stated earlier in this thread, opinions may vary)
(The attached pic is my Stinger right next to my Citizen Promaster for size comparison)

Used to use a suunto mosquito, until I lost it before I even got in the water on my last dive... My next computer will be on a console. Loved the mosquito though while I still had it.:(

Oceanic Data Trans hoseless with Compass mount and compass - mounted on a retractor attached to BC.

We guppy dive. Strictly recreational, open water. Its fine for what we do. I wouldn't recommend it for tech-weenies.... knock that transmitter off the first stage and say goodnight.

Its simple to program, simple to read, simple to understand. My brain was rotted long before I took up diving.

I dive EAN 32 - 40... the Datatrans is a little more conservative than the SSI tables we use for planning each dive.

Who's the bright star that put an audible alarm on a computer that's either mounted on your wrist or a retractor.... I can barely hear the boat's compressor through the bubbles and a 3mm hood - let alone an "alarm" that's 3' from my ear....please.

Ken

Suunto Vyper wrist mount, right wrist, compass on left, although......:(

I am not using the computer yet, I have been reading the manuals and learning its inner workings since I have been recently certified OW and want to practice more using only the watch, depth gauge and tables. I will probably always plan using the tables and just adjust a little bit the bottom time based on the computer readings at that time but not planning on depending 100% on the computer. I just took it down for one dive to make sure it was working correctly, storing info, etc. After that it has been in the case waiting for its time...:eek:ut:

I have been out twice for a total of 4 dives since I got it but the poor thing only got wet once...

ivan

Why not just put the Vyper in gauge mode? Then it's a super-powered bottom timer.

-will

Aeris Atmos 2 wrist mount computer, air and nitrox ready

However...
my Citizen Hyper Aqualand dive watch has most of the information I need for my log book (except nitrogen levels, of course), including water temperature, dive time, maximum and average depths and surface interval time. In some cases, the Hyper Aqualand has more accurate (re: believable) information than the computer, as far as water temps and depths are concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom