what kind of gear cleaning when you get home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
I use a big plastic garbage can when the gear gets home. Put in all the gear, then fill up with water. Soak over night then drip dry everything. Water my fruit trees with leftover water.

That is what I do, too!

Except for the fruit trees part...

Marek K:
What's with you guys? Don't you have bathtubs?? :11:

Or do your... like... SO's object to having dive equipment in the tub?

--Marek

Just makes it easier to rinse in my case. Back the truck up to the garage and unload. Everything goes in a 33 gal. trash can filled with water, sometimes a bit of Listerine or such. Some things are sun dried while I am rinsing and others are hung to dry.

I don't have to worry about getting a bunch of water on the bathroom floor and I can still use the shower while my gear is drying in the garage. No I don't use the garage for the car during the summer, and it is unheated (no ozone).

Marek K:

--Marek
Being of the garbage can clan, I go this route as the regs and all the buckles, etc. can be pretty hard on the tub surface.

I also take my knives and shears out dry them and put some silcon spray on them. I open my lights and remove the batteries and touch up the o-ring grease. Periodically I will put some soap in at the end to 'wash' my wet suit and booties.

I'm fortunate to have a separate tub and shower in the bathroom. I fill'er up and let 'em soak. My local dives are all fresh water and it's frightening the color of the water after the soaking. I will even resoak again after a trip to the ocean, even if I gave it a good rinsing before I came home.

It's just an excuse to play with it again. :D
I like to bring my dive puter and log book to work with me too........

If I'm diving a lot, I just leave it wet. If not, like now when I'm trying to get moved and build a house.... In the summer, I use a large plastic rubbermaid tub as a rinse tank. In winter, I take the frozen gear to work and rinse it in the utility sink.

As Pug says - even more important than rinsing is thorough drying if you do rinse :11:

Marek K:

--Marek
Much easier to do it outside, no worry about water, salt, and other debries that may have come along. I have a covered water tub that I refill after each use. That way it's sun warmed when I go to use it. The darned well water's downright cold in the evening. If the weater is getting colder, like November or April in Maine, I'll wear my dive gloves while I do the cleaning (Also great for off season carwashing). I move the tub slightly each time do disperse the water dumps.

All that being said this winter during OW classes suits were hanging in the tub and if we push the season any further and I don't set-up a basement gear room the rest will be up in the bath. It will be a pain since the tub is upstairs. :(

I made a rolling drying rack that holds most of our stuff so after a few minutes outside I can roll it into the garage. The vehicles are pretty much left out of the garage except in winter, too many toys. I even set up a bench big enough for each of our gear bags so we can sort through and check stuff as needed.

Edit... I missed the SO part first pass, nahh 1/2 of it's hers.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom