what kind of gear cleaning when you get home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
If I'm diving a lot, I just leave it wet. If not, like now when I'm trying to get moved and build a house.... In the summer, I use a large plastic rubbermaid tub as a rinse tank. In winter, I take the frozen gear to work and rinse it in the utility sink.

As Pug says - even more important than rinsing is thorough drying if you do rinse :11:

That's quite true, you don't want to know what booties and wetsuits that aren't dried properly smell like, after being thrown into a bag for storage. Not that I'd know anything about that :D . Lol, all the fish would be able to smell you before they can even see you.

Marek K:
What's with you guys? Don't you have bathtubs?? :11:

Or do your... like... SO's object to having dive equipment in the tub?

--Marek

Actually, no....we don't have a tub here!!!

I keep all my gear at Zeagle, as you never know when you are going to need something at the last minute. :wink:

We have dedicated "gear rinse" trashcans that are easily filled and emptied, and yes, it definitely keeps my wife from "complaining" about dive gear in the tub!!! :D

Scott

This is summer and my gear is always damp. I am lucky as most of my dives are fresh water (Jamdiver you should understand 'ital' water). If I dive salt water I will use a fresh water dive to clean my gear. I see it as a very big dunk tank and as good an excuse as any to dive. After a dive I hang everything out to drain and await a need to dive phone call. At the end of the season (depression) everything is cleaned, dried, lubed and stored. Then it is ski season again!!!

If multiple days of diving, just keep it damp inside the dive bag (I never use a mesh bag) and at the end of the dive trip, clean everything well.

When I lived in a house, I used to hang the gear in a rolling hang rack bought at Kmart and hose everything off after a 10 min dunk in a round rinsing tub bought at Kmart. Everything was in the garage and I let it dry for a few days before storing it inside the house.

Since I moved to an Apt., now the guests bathroom is my cleaning station, I installed a couple of hooks (the ones used in dept. stores to hang multiple garments one in front of the other and hook to a wall) and after dunking in the tub for 10-20 mins I rinse everything with a coiled 25' hose from the closet sink next to the bathroom and hang it to dry in the hooks for a few days until dry.

All the neoperene is cleaned in the washer with a very small amount of dynamo and gentle cycle, then hang it to dry for a few days before storing in the gear closet.

If a freshwater dive I do a quick rinse with the hose followed by a 10-minute soak and flush in the tub. If I dove in salt water I rinse thoroughly with a hose, then use the shower to further rinse the gear with tepid water. I finish off by placing all the gear in a tub full of tepid water and slosh until at least one beer has passed, drain, refill, and repeat.

I have a big tub, fill it with water and add Mirazyme. Hose everything off first, then in the tub. Tank and regs first, under press. swish and purge, out and rinse. suit next, swish and soak for 10 min. out and hang, no rinse. everything else in for a bath to soak while I enjoy an adult beverage, then out, rinse and hang. This is done for fresh, or salt. It only takes a little time, and I get to check all of my gear while im at it, and Mirazyme is cheap.

Marek K:
What's with you guys? Don't you have bathtubs??
--Marek
I'm another of the "outside rinse" guys. I have a couple 58 quart plastic tubs in the car trunk. If it's a shore dive, then I'll pull into the carwash area at the condos and rinse the gear, then hang it for a few minutes on a clothline and hooks I've put into the nearby trees. I'll kill a few minutes washing the car while the gear sheds a bit of water --- makes it lighter and less messy to haul through the condo out to the lanai.

After a boat dive, often I'll just do all the cleaning using the faucets right at the boat ramp, then throw the gear into the tubs to haul home.

Charlie

Snowbear:
:11:
You haul the car through the condo?!?!
:eek:
I'd just drive it through the condo, no sense in straining your back. Might interfere with diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom