What kind of Scooter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243:
X-Scooter is $3,750.00 on ebay.

:eyecrazy:

I'd keep my $3500 and get the seadoo.

There really is no comparison here. I've owed an X-Scooter for over a year and a half and it is an incredible machine. I'm not slamming the seadoo because for an cheap toy for buzzing around shallow reef's where your life doesn't depend on flawless performance to get you home safely it may work fine. However, if you want to do any type of diving where depth, distance, current or decompression come into play, you'll want a tow behind like the X-Scooter, Gavin or SS.

The thing I never liked about the apollo is that the handles are on the front of the machine requiring you to kind of lay ontop of it and that always bothered me.

A similar but much better option is the Oceanic Mako, It's the standard that the more expensive scooters (silent submersions, Gavin etc) build from.

My favorite of all time is the old Farallon Mk, II.

Once you are used to better scooters the Seadoos seem like nothing more than a pool toy.

For a currently manufactured machine you can buy brand new I would suggest either the Oceanic Mako or the X scooter.

Thanks guys for everyone's input. I probably look to do about 150 dives a year on it so I'll be honest... I don't think a sea doo would work for me. Diving is my career so I want something that is going to last a few years. I'm a North East diver and alot of my dives are made in huge quarries (Dutch Springs, etc.) and I'm really tired of swimming from one end to the other. I don't mind spending some money on something I like. I guess I can think about getting rid of the expensive fins that I dive.. haha. I would love to hear more suggestions. Thanks again and I will let you know what I purchase!

Mike

Jealous--lol---ha!!!! I paid about 350 dollars each for the Teknas. Spent about another three hundred on each of them. That is 500 to 600 each. That cost included an ebay charger and then purchasing another 24V generic charger. Parts for the Tekna which evolved into the Mako are available from dpvrepair.com.

I have used the little SeaDoos, there is no comparison. My Teknas are POWERFULL and FAST and yes, they weigh 50 lbs each. They make from 15 to 75 lbs thrust depending upon the position of the multi pitch adjuster on the prop. The SeaDoos make about 15 lbs of thrust on a good day of wishfull thinking. All of the SeaDoos are a pool toy. N

boomx5:
There really is no comparison here. I've owed an X-Scooter for over a year and a half and it is an incredible machine. I'm not slamming the seadoo because for an cheap toy for buzzing around shallow reef's where your life doesn't depend on flawless performance to get you home safely it may work fine. However, if you want to do any type of diving where depth, distance, current or decompression come into play, you'll want a tow behind like the X-Scooter, Gavin or SS.

<scubaboard mode on> Scooters are dangerous. You shouldn't use the scooter to go further than you can swim back <scubaboard mode off>
:)

jo8243:
<scubaboard mode on> Scooters are dangerous. You shouldn't use the scooter to go further than you can swim back <scubaboard mode off>
:)

In a cave... certainly... otherwise it's just a potential inconvenience (unless you unwittingly venture far from shore... in which case, you probably shouldn't be scootering anyway!) :wink:

The X-Scooters are huge fun. The Echo weighs almost exactly what a AL 80 stage does, ~38-39 lbs. Not a big deal.

I've enjoyed my a great deal, and recommend them.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom